Not the Best Meeting

(Y/N Scoresby P.O.V)

Aster and I walked cautiously through the streets. Every second I feared that Lyra and Pan might run into something. Aster always assured me that she was capable of anything. He was right. If she could save me from her wicked mother, she could handle anything.

We walked through a narrow street until we came to a square with a tree planted in the centre.

"Look (Y/N). A cafe," Aster pointed towards a building with chairs and tables set outside. "Maybe we can find something to eat out there,"

I walked towards the closed wooden doors. I pushed them gently open. Inside was a large dining hall with chairs and tables and a perfectly clean kitchen in the far corner. I walked towards it, setting down my coat on a table. I brushed my finger over a cupboard. Clean.

"Seems like a good spot to stay and eat," I said. "Let's hope the food is still in date," Before I could take another step, we heard a crank.

"What was that?" Aster asked, turning into a small polar bear. He growled.

I heard the cranking of wooden steps again. Spotting a broom, I took it up carefully, rising it up to defend myself. I heard no steps. I saw no sign of anyone. I turned around. I stood still. Just then I felt a set of fingers touch my shoulders.

Quick as a whip, I spun around and I struck.

I heard a crash of pottery.

"Easy!" a voice shrieked. "Please!"

I pointed my weapon at a coloured chap with short dark hair and dark eyes.

"I'm sorry I scared you!" he shrieked.

"Sorry I scared you," I apologised a little gruffly.

"Please put the broom down," he begged, holding up his hands.

I placed it down.

"Who are you?" he asked, bending down to pick up the pieces of smashed pottery.

"(Y/N) Scoresby," I answered, putting down the broom. "Who are you?"

"I'm...Will Parry," he introduced himself.

"So now we find someone in the city," Aster said, turning back into a weasel.

Will Parry gawked at my daemon.

"That's Aster," I introduced him.

He looked scared...like he has never seen a daemon before. He held up a finger. "How's it talking?"

He leaned in close to touch my daemon. Too close.

I slapped his hand.

"Ow!" he retreated back.

"Don't touch him!" I snapped. "Don't you know how rude it is to touch someone else's daemon?"

He blinked at me, as if I'd gone crazy. "Someone's else's what?"

I gawked at him. I stared at his feet. "You don't have a daemon?"

"I can't see one," Aster whispered in my ear.

"That's impossible,"

Will Parry continued to stare at him like I was crazy. "What are you talking about?"

I had enough. "Never mind. We'll just be on our way. Come on Aster," I turned around and fled out the restaurant. I heard Will Parry's voice calling out to me but I ignored him.

(Lee Scoresby P.O.V)

I whistled as I adjusted the wires for the lighters and heaters in my fixed balloon. Iera was peacefully sleeping. Hester took a peaceful a nap too. My mind was spinning as I was thinking about my precious daughter and Lyra. They were out there alone with their daemons. But the memory of Lyra saving (Y/N) gave me hope that they were alive and safe and together.