An Unwelcoming Host

(Y/N P.O.V) 

Roger took the first bath whilst I still sat in the lobby with Aster near the fire. I wrote in my journal about being rescuing from Bolvanger, being separated from my father again and coming here with Lyra and Roger. So much had happened in so little time. 

I paused writing when my thoughts drifted to my dad. 

"I miss him too," Aster nuzzled my fingers. "But we'll see him again. Now tell me...what are you thinking about?"

"About Lyra's father. I often wonder how a man like him fell for a woman as cruel as Mrs. Coulter,"

"Definitely don't mention that in front of him. Or Lyra. She's the only good thing that came out of them,"

"I agree,"

Things were silent for a while when I heard the pounding of steps. I turned and saw an upset Lyra stalking down the metal stairs with the alethiometer. She didn't stop to come and see us. She disappeared into the corridors. I knew why she was upset. I grew angry. I glared up at Asriel standing atop the top level at his work space. 

"Don't do what I think you're going to do," Aster hissed. 

But once again I didn't listen. I marched out of the lobby, up the steps and up to Lord Asriel. 

"You had no right her turning away like that," I scolded. 

He turned to me, a cold glare emitting from his face. 

"She came all this way just to save you...to give you the alethiometer..and you repay her...by pushing her away? Neglecting her?"

Asriel would not answer. He just turned his back. 

"Some father you are," I growled and turned my back on him. 

"You don't anything of how she came to be Miss Scoresby," he spoke up from behind. 

I turned back to him. He was facing me again. "Actually I do. She told me everything she learned. About you. About Mrs. Coulter," I would not quiver from his threatening gaze. "Since I met Lyra...my life changed. She is strong and brave and cares about other people. She is more special than you think she is. And a much, much better person...compared to you,"

For a moment he seemed like he was going shout back at him or order his daemon to hurt Aster. But I remained strong. He did nothing. I turned my back around

"Where did you get that necklace?" he suddenly asked. 

Once again I huffed. Seriously? 

I turned back around to him. Right in his full view, I tucked my mother's necklace behind my vest. "That's none of your business," 

Once again I turned around and marched off. 

(Lyra P.O.V) 

Once I was washed and cleaned and dressed, I headed out to look for (Y/N) whilst Roger went to check on the food. I came to a room and knocked. 

"Who's there?" (Y/N)'s voice rung. 

"It's just me,"

"Come in,"

I entered and saw she was sitting down with a wet cloth in one hand. It reached over her shoulder to dab her back.. Aster was circled on a stool in the form of a fox. She was dressed in a tank top with her trousers and boots strapped on. I blinked when I eyed two red marks stretching just above the rim of her tank top. 

"Are you okay?" my words left my mouth. 

"I'm fine," she kept downplaying the pain that I could sense in her eyes. She was about to dap her wound with a wet cloth when I spoke up again.