Where are the Grown Ups?

(Lyra P.O.V)

Pan and I treaded carefully through the strange city. For a moment I felt we were going round in circles. Once again there was nobody around. Everything was just quiet. Too quiet.

"Lyra!" Pan spoke up, making me jump.

"Pan!" I hissed. I glared down at him for making me jump like that.

"I've got the strangest feeling we're being watched by someone,"

Her words made me shudder a little.

I looked behind us. Nothing. I looked up above. Nothing.

"I should fly up and check it out," he suggested.

"And get yourself into trouble?" I argued.

"I won't fly far. And I'll stay away from the rooftops at all times," he promised.

I nodded. He turned into a magpie and flew up.

(M/C P.O.V)

This girl named Lyra watched her animal companion fly up towards the rooftops. He was heading in our direction. Quick as a whip, I grabbed Lion and I pulled a blanket over our heads. I hunched closer to a roof wall. I pressed a hand over Lion's mouth. Luckily he didn't bite me. We stayed completely still. We heard flapping. Then a voice that said, "Nothing!"

The noise of flapping receded meaning that Pan had flown back down. I waited a good long while. Then slowly uncovering the blanket, I peered down again. I saw Pan turning back into a ermine. He followed Lyra around a corner. Questions were literally floating in my head right now. I felt I needed to get a closer look at them on ground.

"Stay here Lion," I ordered my cat. "Don't let anyone catch you,"

Taking out a knife from my knapsack, I slid down the drain pipe and landed flat on my feet on the street. I slowly straightened my back and looked ahead calmly.

Time to get answers. It would either be the easy way or the hard way. I would not let my guard down like last time.

I ran quietly across the pathway, taking light steps. I peeked my head around the corner. I saw Lyra take a turn. I sped off again with quick and light feet. I peeked around again. I saw nothing. She had disappeared.

Drawing out my knife in front of me, I crept quietly forward. I took it slowly, turning my head off in every direction. I came across a pile of barrels and boxes. She could be hiding in one of them. I opened one. Nothing. I opened another. Nothing. I checked everyone. Still nothing. I looked ahead again. It was a dead end.

Where did you go?

Just when I turned around, I was met with a punch to the face. I fell backwards, my hand losing the knife. My back hit the ground. I was about to get up but the head of a long broom was aimed at my face. Lyra was holding it. A brave bold glance glaring down at me.

"You're clever. But not clever enough," she sounded like she was threatening me.

I turned and tried to reach my knife but a wolverine jumped in front of me. I screamed and shuffled back. It licked its chops.

"What are you?!" I blabbered, fearing for my life, like before.

"We're the ones asking questions," Lyra spoke again. "Who are you?"

I didn't answer. She remained in her pose. She was pretty much in the position to ask questions. I was only in a position to answer.

"(M/C)," I answered.