Off on a Mission

(Lee Scoresby P.O.V)

I carefully landed the balloon near a group of trees standing not too far away from a great cliff.

"Why are we here?" Hester asked as he walked out.

"Miss Pekala summoned us. We are here to discuss about the girls and this weapon Meera was looking for," I began to feel a little sentimental talking about my beloved wife, but my determination was flowing my veins, compelling me to continue down this path. I turned to Iera. "Why don't you stay here with the balloon Iera? You look tired,"

"A bear can never be too tired," she stepped out. "Now let us see what help we can receive from this queen,"

Iera prodded out the ballon and we made our way up the gentle slopes. As we reached the top towards the great cliff, we saw a towering circlet of stones. Witches were flying into it. A great gathering had been called.

"Ahh Lee!" Serafina Pekala's voice filled the air, ringing my ears. She was above us. She landed elegantly like an angel, like my Meera. "I see you have arrived with Iera,"

"Your majesty," Iera bowed her head.

"Come inside. We have much to discuss about," Serafina invited us instead. We entered through a small arch. We saw witches, shrouded in long clothes of blue and black and white. They wore silver armour on their shoulders and their long hair was flying in the wind. Their bird daemons were perched on slabs of rock and stone surrounding us. A great tree of magical cloud pine stood in the centre.

"Sisters!" Serafina announced. "I have invited Mr. Scoresby here to share his thoughts. The child of the prophecy we have expected and one the few who will walk with her is one her path. Please speak Lee. Tell us what you wish to discuss about,"

My heart jumped a little, just thinking about the girls. I swallowed my fear. "After I lost my daughter...and Lyra, Miss Pekala gave me a journal given to her for safekeeping by my wife Meera, who went missing..four years ago," I managed not to cry. "I read through it hoping I could find out what she went looking out for. Her writings spoke of a man named Stanislaus Grumman. She wrote down that he knows the whereabouts of a special item that offers protection to anyone who holds it. Regarding the danger that I feel (Y/N) and Lyra are in, I wish to find this knife, to finish what my wife started...and give it to them,"

"Thank you Lee," Serafina spoke kindly. "This protection will be of use to them wherever they are. Your wife had died doing a great thing. Remember her for it,"

I nodded. "I will,"

"You must set out to find this man and this item,"

"I will," I promised.

"Take this with you," she walked forward, holding out her hand to reveal a piece of cloud pine. "Whenever you are in danger, hold it in your hand," she clasped my hand. "Call out to me and I shall hear you wherever you are,"

She let go and I felt the soft touch of the cloud pine resting in my fingers. I looked at her. "Thank you,"

She smiled and addressed her sisters once again. "Lord Asriel has opened the way from this world to another and already Lyra Belaqua, now named Lyra Silvertongue by King Iorek Byrnison by the armoured bears, and her friend (F/C) Scoresby are on their path. Lee can help them. We must decide our part to play,"

Before she could discuss more about the matter of those girls who I cared about, we heard a whoosh of air. We turned our heads and we saw a great witch descending from the sky. She landed on the great cliff that forked out of the circlet of stone. She had long dark hair and she was shrouded in a dress of purple silk.