Saving Roger

(Y/N) Point of View

The next morning we were escorted to the cafeteria and we were eating breakfast. As I sat with some other girls, I began whispering. 

"When I raise the alarm, I'm going to provide a distraction so that we can get away,"

"What kind of distraction?" Annie asked. 

"One that will guarantee we can get safely,"

"But what about the ice?" 

"There's help coming. They're only less than a day's journey away. I know it's coming. You must trust me,"

The girls including Annie seemed uncertain. 

"Okay," she agreed. "We'll spread the word," 

"Roger Parslow!"

My heart jumped. I turned and saw the nurse with the fox daemon appear through the door. I rotated my head towards Roger from across the room pale with shock. 

"Would you come with me please?" she requested. 

I stared at Roger, shaking my head. 

"Come on. Don't make a fuss," she ordered. 

He slowly rose from his seat, sharing a glance with me as he walked out. Everyone went back to eating, but the girls look pale. 

"We've got to do something Lyra,"  Aster whispered to me. "They'll cut Roger from Saecillia," 

I struggled to think. We couldn't proceed with the plan now. But I couldn't let Roger get cut like poor Billy. 

"Pss," I whispered getting their attention. "I need you to all to create a distraction so that I can sneak out and save Roger,"

"No way. We can't risk getting into trouble," 

"They're going to cut him," I said. "He'll die. Just like poor Billy Costa. I need to get to him. Please," I implored. 

The girls considered for a sec. 

"Food fight!" Annie shouted standing up. Standing up she grabbed her plate and threw it across the plate at a fat boy.

"Oy!" he grabbed his plate and threw it at Annie who ducked. It hit another girl. Then she threw and it hit another boy. And another. And another. And...

Soon the entire cafeteria was a hurricane of flying food and plates and cutlery. With the doctors and waiters distracted I dashed out the door, fast as my legs could carry me. 

"We'll have to head to the power room. We don't even know where the room where they cut children is," I said. 

"This way," Aster remembered where it was. Quickly he guided me through the steel door with the lightning symbol. Much to my chagrin there was a code-number panel. 

"Curses. We need a code," Aster said. 

"What do we do?"

"How do I know you're the one who wants to rescue Roger,"

I struggled to think. I was running out of time. Roger was running out of time. 

(Roger P.O.V)

I tried to break free from the nurses as they tried to place me and Saecillia in separate cages. But they were too strong. 

"Please! Please don't this!" I screamed. 

(Mrs. Coulter P.O.V) 

I stood at the control panel, smiling proudly. 

"I don't see why I have to stand here and watch this," Mr. Sysselman groaned next to me.