Cliff Ghasts and Bad Landing

(Lee Scoresby P.O.V) 

I made the balloon glide carefully over the plains of white and across the nearby ocean of ice. The children and the bears were fast asleep. 

"I warn you Mr. Scoresby...there may be more fighting ahead. But I'm sure you can handle it," 

"I'm sure I can. But I know that as the situation grows more complicated...my family's situation becomes more complicated," 

"Lyra is destined to be important. To create and resolve conflict. She matters more than she can ever know,"

"Well I had a contract with the Gyptians over what was accomplished back in Bolvanger. And I'm already repaying Lyra back for saving my child by taking her on this journey,"

"She needs you Lee," 

"I'm not ungrateful for what she's done. But I can't risk putting (Y/N) in danger. You know, a man should have a choice whether to take up arms or not,"

"(Y/N) is already a part of this. Lyra needs her. Just as much as she does. And you need her too. Both of them are part of a destiny that's to come. And they will not walk in it alone,"

"There are others?" 

"Yes,"

I was intrigued. Was this foretold? "Do you know who they are?"

"No. What I do know, is that the fate of more than this world depends on all of them,"

"This isn't how I expected this conversation to go,"

"What were you expecting? Money?"

"No. I was expecting an excuse to keep (Y/N) out of this," 

"You're been a good father to her Mr. Scoresby. But you've seen how much she has grown stronger. And that is because of Lyra. The polar star will guide you to Lord Asriel. The wind is strong. You're a capable navigator. The fate of everything is in your hands now,"

"So both Lyra and (Y/N) are responsible for everything...and I'm responsible..." I paused. "Both both of them,"

"Yes. The world is in your hands. And I'm glad it is," the witch smiled. "Good luck," she took off and disappeared into the sky. 

"Wow," Hester said awkwardly. "Quite something,"

I hung my head unsure what to do now. 

"You know what this means Lee," Hester was beginning another conversation which I did not want to talk about. "You have to let (Y/N) go," 

"But she's only a child,"

"Yet she was able to save Roger from being cut. And you don't have to rely on yourself. Look at what Lyra did. She saved her. You can count on her to keep (Y/N) safe. Have you ever thought that since meeting Lyra...our lives have changed?"

I wondered what she was thinking about. Perhaps she was right. Somehow meeting Lyra had made my precious girl braver and stronger. Somehow letting down my protective guard has allowed her to do things that I thought she couldn't do. I had no seen what a incredible girl she was. Lyra was right. I just needed to let her show it, not hold her back. I remembered those slightly rude but necessary words that night we first camped. 

Somehow she was right. It wasn't just (Y/N) but Lyra. There was something about her. Somehow she seemed to change other people's lives, just like (Y/N)'s, just like mine. I could not help but begin to realise that there was a sisterly connection between them I was proud of her for it. I was now proud to keep her safe alongside my child. 

It grew darker outside as it got late. Hester took a nap on my lap and I fell asleep as well. I had just go to sleep dreaming about my wife...when a constant rhythm of clicking made my ear drums ring. The more intensified it became, the more I was woken up from my dream. I felt an abrupt feeling engulf my body when I thought I saw a shadow looming outside the curtains around the balloon. I noticed (Y/N) was fidgeting. Lyra was too.