Travelling North

As we were packing our balloon, dad's face was quite cold. 

"I don't like that you disobeyed me like that," he said. 

"Lyra needed my help to convince you. I had to repay her kindness by helping. And I wanted us to do a good cause for once," 

"But did you not think about how much danger it would put you in?"

"What danger could I possibly get in?"

"Stop treating life like it's a game (Y/N). We're about to enter a fight that we possibly can't win,"

"Dad!" I whined. "You don't know that. You know if mum was here, she wouldn't hesitate to join,"

"Don't bring her into this," his voice sounded broken. 

"I'm sorry," I apologised.  

We said nothing more after that. After we tied our balloon parts to a massive sleigh. Iorek came by and he helped us pull it out and we joined Lyra and the Gyptians. We heaved it up the stone hill leading away from Trollesund and before us were a series of green plains which we would cross to get to Bolvanger. There would greater obstacles ahead once we crossed this first stage. 

A tank took over from Iorek and started pulling her balloon. 

Dad sat down. "Why don't you sit down?"

"Shouldn't we help out?"

"The Gyptians are doing fine. And besides a good girl like you who has expertise should look after this balloon,"

I sat down and relaxed next to him. I stared up at the sky and saw a grey-blue falcon flying high up in the clouds. 

"Is that a witch's daemon?" I asked.

"Yes,"

"Do all witch's daemons take the form of birds?"

"Obviously," 

"Do you wish Hester was sometimes a bird considering we fly a lot?"

"I love her just the way she is,"

"Thank you Lee," Hester nestled affectionately under his arm. 

"And you should love what Aster settles as when you come of age,"

"Hey guys!" Lyra 

"See you guys aren't walking,"

"Three reasons. One I've struggle with bunions. Two (Y/N)'s got to protect this balloon.."

"I could help you guys protect the balloon," 

"That's very kind of you. You know dad...we should give her a ride in it,"

"She'd need expertise (Y/N)," 

"She's got expertise," I defended.

"You got some Miss Lyra. I'll give you that," he said. "It seems my daughter sees you do,"

Lyra gave me a grateful smile. 

"And three - why walk when you can fly?"

"You know we could fly in it dad," I said. "And you could join us if you wanted to Lyra. The view from up there is such an everlasting experience," 

"We've saving it for when it's needed. And besides a witch's daemon will have a better eye in the sky than we would,"

"A witch's daemon?" Lyra asked.

"Look up there," I pointed to the falcon. "Already the witch's are helping us," 

"We're going to win this right (Y/N)?"