Learning how to use the Knife

Hey. I am so sorry this took so long. I was focused on other stories and I didn't want to update until I watched Season 3 of his Dark Materials. I've finished the entire series now and I'm going to continue updating the story. Hope you all enjoy it. 

(Y/N) Point of View

I watched Will sit down at the end of the bed holding up the knife. 

"There are two edges of the knife," Giacamo began as Will twirled around a bit. "This edge will cut through any material in the world. It will even ward off and kill spectres,"

As the edge lit up in the light, I saw a flash of blue and orange. I stumbled back in fright, memories of Bolvanger flashing in the mind of my eye, the machine. I hear my screams in m head. 

Will noticed. "(Y/N), are you all right?" 

I breathed in and out slowly. "That colour. I've seen it. It's the colour of the blade at Bolvanger, the blade that..." I paused feeling ashamed. "...that tried to cut me from Aster," Aster and I glanced at each other, terrified and traumatised. I couldn't bare to mention how it gave me my scars.

"I am sorry you had to go through such an awful experience," Giacamo apologised. He wanted to come over and comfort me but I turned my head away. I couldn't bear to dwell on it anymore. "The other edge is more subtle still," he continued for Will. "With it, you can cut an opening out of this world altogether. This is a great burden for one so young, but the knife, the Esahaettr has chosen you,"

Will stood up and slowly raised his hand with the knife.

"Now, it's not only the knife that has to cut, it's your mind," Giacamo added. "So put your mind at the very tip of the knife. Concentrate boy. You're looking for a small gap," 

Will stretched his hand and tried to follow everything Giacamo had taught. He continued to talk as Will tried. "The gap is almost invisible but the knife tip will find it if you put your mind there," 

Will breathed in and out shakily. 

"Stand steady until you see the smallest gap appear," 

It wasn't making it any easy for Will. He gave up and dropped his arm but not the knife. 

"You're not clearing your mind," Giacamo lectured.

"I can't," Will panted and he slumped on the bed again, head hung down. "I can't be the Bearer,"

I pressed my lips together and I knelt beside him. "Will, you can do this," 

He wasn't motivated. Aster became an Arctic fox and he crooned softly coming closer to his bandaged hand which was red all over. He was soft and gentle. Will's spare fingers poked out of his bandage and touched him. I felt a flash of pain. I stumbled back. 

"Aster," 

"Did I do something wrong?" Will asked, looking at me with guilt. 

"No. In my world, you're not supposed to touch someone else's daemon. But you didn't do anything wrong," I counselled. 

"It was me, Will. I wanted to," Aster said. 

"He wanted to help," I said. I sat down next to him. "I know how much it hurts. When I was captured, I couldn't shut the fear out. Just like you can't shut the pain out," 

"How did you get through it?" Will asked.

"I kept telling myself that my father and Lyra were coming to get me. All you have to do is remember that whilst the pain is there, the knife is the most important thing. You can do this Will,"