Chapter 40

I could feel him

He was close by 

I needed to see him

To talk to him

After my long session in the bath, I had dried myself and changed into some new fresh clothes. I also had something to eat which was only a piece of fruit since I couldn't make myself eat something big not without knowing the Jace was out in the woods alone with Dalton.

Ariella spent more time with her grandmother than me; I was too busy thinking about all the bad things that could have been happening outside. 

It wasn't even till the afternoon that he had come back. He walked straight through the front door... blood covering his body... pain etching his features. I ran up to him and hugged his dirty body. Even though he caused me pain, heartbreak and anger... he was still my soulmate, my husband...my life.

I know he would be angry with me; after all I did hide the news of his daughter away from him. 

 "We need to talk" I whispered in his ear.

Grabbing his hand, I lead him to our old bedroom... the room that we once shared together. I opened the door and lead him inside as he sat on the bed whilst looking at the floor. I slowly walked up to him and sat next to him on the edge of the bed. 

"I'm still angry at you for what you did to me...but I know why you did it." I spoke out after a long period of silence. "But you should have told me instead of hiding it. I love you Jace, don't you get it? The day we officially got married and bonded with each other was they day that we vowed that we would be there for each other no matter what." 

Jace looked at me tearful eyes and the next thing I know; he's crying on my shoulder and embracing me in a tight hug. Hugging him back, I let him cry on my shoulder as I let him release every emotion he held inside of him.

"I killed him" He whispered to me.

"I killed him!" He said again but this time a bit louder.

"I KILLED MY OWN BROTHER!" He screamed out which shocked me

"Shh. It's going to be okay. I'm here for you now" I said to him as I ran my hand up and down his back like you would do to a child.

We stayed like this until the evening, Jace had fallen asleep on my shoulder and my shoulder had started to hurt badly. I laid him down on the bed and pulled the covers up to his chest to keep him warm. As I turned around to leave, a hand shot out and grabbed my arm but when I turned around I saw that it was no one else but Jace that had grabbed my arm. He was still sleeping so I walked back over to him and left a soft kiss on his forehead. 

"I'm here for you" I whispered as I placed his hand back on the bed.

Turning away from him, I walked out the room and downstairs into the kitchen where Elise was. She had Ariella in her arms, slowly moving her side to side whilst Caleb was just eating away his tiny bag of crisps. 

Elise looked at me when I entered the kitchen, she gave me a small smile and Caleb just jumped up and down in his seat as he looked at me. Taking Ariella from Elise's hands, I turned to Caleb and showed him his little sister. 

"This is your little sister" I said to him. He looked at the little girl who was asleep in my arms and frowned. 

"Why she sleep?" He asked

"Sweetie, she's tired so she's sleeping" I said to him as he lightly touched her face. 

 "How is he?" Elise asked me as Caleb went back to eating his crisp and drawing a picture with some of the crayons that were on the table that I didn't notice before.

"He's okay. Resting but..." 

"But what?" She pressured me.

"I think it's better for you to talk to him when he's awake and stable. It's something that he should personally talk to you and I don't want to get in between of this" I said to her as I placed Ariella's head on my shoulder and rubbed her back.

"Okay. Do you want anything to eat? I can make something for you" I knew she wanted to ask me but it wasn't for me to tell her and she had to hear it from Jace.

"Yeah some food would be good but set up some food for Jace too and I'll take it to him. I'll put this one to bed" 

Cradling a sleeping Ariella in my arms, I walked back upstairs to place her in the tiny pink cot that was placed recently in my old bedroom where Jace was sleeping. I was careful not to wake her up from her sleep otherwise she would scream so loudly to show her annoyance. A white blanket was used to cover her body and in that moment she looked so peaceful whilst she slept. 

It wasn't until later in the evening that Jace had woken up, he had bags under his eyes and I could just tell he had some sort of nightmare. Just seeing the sight of him like that broke my heart into pieces. I had two pieces of painkillers and a glass of water in hand to give to him. 

"Here" I said to him as I handed him the two tablets and the water. 

When he had taken it from my hands, I moved to sit by him on the bed and take the empty glass from him. He rubbed his temples together, probably trying to ease the pain in his head. 

"You should see Ariella when you’re in a good shape?” I said to him

"Ariella?" He asked me in wonder.

"That's what I named our daughter. If you don't like then we could always change it."

"No...I like it" 

"Why don't you go have a shower and I'll set some dinner for you downstairs?" I said to him as I walked up and out the room, closing the door behind me. 

Walking into the kitchen, I immediately go to the fridge to find the beef casserole that Elise had made earlier. I take it out and place some in a bowl to reheat in the microwave. Once it's done, I take it out of the microwave and place it on a tray along with some water. I take the tray with me upstairs to give to Jace.

When I walk into the bedroom, I see Jace is cradling Ariella in his arms once again. This time his hair is wet from the recent shower he has taken and he's whispering to her softly. I walk further into the room and settle the tray on the bed.

"What are the pair of you doing?" I say teasingly.

"Some father daughter bonding" He replies as he softly kisses her head.

"Give her to me and eat, you need your strength." I say to him sternly.

 He gave me my little girl and gently placed her in my arms like she was made of glass. Jace sat down on the bed and proceeded to eat his late dinner whilst I fed Ariella in hopes that she would go back to sleep.

A/N: You guys wanted it so I gave it to you.. sorry for the very late updates but im really busy right now like I'm in my final year of college so have to do good then find a job. Picture of what the cot in my head would look like >>>>>

Read

Vote

Comment