Chapter 26

“Is she going to be alright?” I heard a female voice whisper to someone worriedly.

“She is mum; the doctor said that she passed out.” Another voice said which was also female.

 Opening my heavy eyelids, I was instantly burned by the light around me. I sat up and blinked a couple of times to get used to the feeling of the light and once I did, I was faced with Ella and Lisa’s worried faces.

“KAYLA!” Ella shouted my name as she pulled me into a hug.

“What happened? Where’s Caleb?” I asked them both worriedly.

“Don’t worry, he’s sleeping in my room peacefully” Ella said to me as she placed her hands on my shoulder to calm me down.

“What happened?” Lisa asked me as she sat down beside me on the bed. “You only went upstairs to put Caleb to asleep and you didn’t come down after that. We got a bit worried so I sent Ella up to check on you and she saw you lying on the floor.” She said to me as my memory of what happened started to come back to me.

“I remember putting Caleb to sleep and I had the pain growing in my head.” I said to them. “And then pain erupted in my chest which made it difficult for me to breath. Then I was on the floor and I must have passed out after that.” I said as I whispered that last word to her.

“Oh darling, we should get you to the doctors for a checkup soon just to make sure you and the baby are okay.” Lisa said to me as she rubbed my back.

“You should cancel the plans for the evening then.” Lisa said to Ella which made Ella frown.

“No wait!” I shouted at them which made them look at me. “What plans?” I asked them suspiciously.

“Welllll, I was invited to this party from my company.” She said to me. "It's like an office party. I've been working at the office for a couple of years as a receptionist" Ella said to me as she filled me in on her work days.

"You never told me about this because?' I asked her.

"It may have slipped out of my mind." She said to me sheepishly.

"What's the party for anyway?" I asked as I sighed.

"It's one of those ‘we have been here for 10 years' party" She said to me with a bored tone.

"What sort of party is it? I wanna hide my baby bump in something." I said to her.

"Just wear a long fancy dress" She said to me. "Maybe a red, black or a purple dress to bring out your eyes." She said to me as she looked at my facial features.

"Okkayy, well we'll need to go out shopping for it then." I said to her which made her squeal in delight.

"I know the perfect shop to go to!” She said to me

"Wait, what about Caleb? Who’s going to look after him while I'm gone?" I said to her worriedly.

"Don't worry Kayla, I'll look after him. I can't wait to spend more time with my other daughter's child" Lisa said to us as she clapped her hands together in happiness.

"Are you feeling any good now?" Ella asked me

"Yeah sorta" I replied back.

"Well get dressed then so we can go shopping" She said to me as she ran out the room.

Sighing I got up from the bed and made my way to my suitcase to pick out some clothes. I settled on a sweatshirt that had lace on the shoulders and ripped denim jeans. I wore black boots, diamond earrings and a necklace that had a music note and a heart. My hair was done up in a ponytail and I had minimum make up on.