Chapter 30

Rosa's POV

It was completely silent, the pivoting door clicking behind Dante as he left while Vince and I remained in our spots, the breakfast going cold.

"I don't want anyone else to die because of me." My voice was a soft murmur as I stared distantly at the wooden floorboards of his house.

Sounds of shifting followed Vince's movements. He stood in front of me, a finger below my chin to gently lift my head to make me look up into the blue orbs that were his eyes.

"It's not because of you. You know that very well, cara mia."

"It feels like we're losing right now, like soon enough, he'll get what he wants."

Vince's eyes burned blue, a piercing gaze that could kill thrown my way, his jaw clenching as if he was holding himself back from something. "He won't get what he wants. He won't." He spoke in his gruff, masculine voice.

After a few seconds of staring into each other's eyes, fighting a silent battle, he moved away from me. Grabbing the plates and emptying them in trash. None of us had an appetite and we probbaly wouldn't have one for a while now.

Dante was gone. He was going to try and track down Alvaro's location and probably deal a few deaths to his own men in revenge. He wasn't showing it. He seemed calm and carefree as if he couldn't give a damn about who died but his dark eyes spoke volumes. He was angry and vengeful and he was going to send Alvaro a message of his own.

There was no doubt that Vince knew of this too. He knew it much better than me about what intentions Dante had and he wasn't trying to stop him from doing anything.

"Stop thinking." His voice sounded as he placed the dried plates back up in the shelf.

I involuntarily bit my lip. "It's not really something that's in my control."

He pulls out his phone from his pocket and reads a few texts. "There's some business I need to take care of, so I'll see you around 5." He said as he walked up to me to caress my cheek with his rough thumb.

"Alvaro business?" I questioned with the raise of a brow, "because if that's so then I want part in it. You can't keep me on the sidelines anymore."

"It's not Alvaro business. It's more like oil." He answered, masking his true emotions with a charming smile. There was no question that the last thing he wanted to do while this whole circus was playing was deal with oil business.

"Fun."

"Very."

With that he was gone. He had changed into his work clothes and left without another word while I was at his home all alone wondering what I should be doing.

There was nothing that I could enjoy right now. There was too much on my mind for me to be able to anything that I would normally do to relax. Everything was a constant source of stress that gave me a never-ending headache.

"Milo, stop trying to eat the sofa." I sighed as I walked over to him and pulled him away. He struggled against me until he escaped from my hands and dropped down to the carpet. I rolled my eyes at him as he now tried to dig a hole in the carpet because he couldn't get back up on the sofa.

Dropping down into a crouch position, I ran my hand over his head several times until he rolled over and exposed his belly to me. It meant that he trusted me. I rubbed his belly for several minutes until Rocco came over and started rubbing his small furry head against my thigh asking for some pets.

He purred as I rubbed his head with the palm of my hand. "You like that, don't you?" He purred again and I chuckled.

For a moment, while I played with Milo and Rocco, all my worries disappeared. My mind felt lighter.