Stubborn Love.

"Do you have a date yet?"
Aaron looks at the clothing racks and runs his fingers over the fabric. I shrug my shoulders. "Not really."
His eyebrows lift, wrinkles appearing on his forehead.
"What?" I say. "I don't even know if I'm going."
"I hope you're kidding me right now." Aaron replies and leans over the pile of ties. "It's prom, Aria. P-R-O-M."
I roll my eyes and move further down the aisle.
"Not everybody thinks it's as exciting as you do."
He shakes his head in denial and crosses his arms. "What are the options?"
Frowning, I hold up a tie. "Red?"
"No. I mean your date options?"
"I don't have any." I tell him.
A sarcastic giggle escapes his mouth and he lifts his hand. "Me." Raising a finger with his name.
"You haven't called Will in a long time."
Defensive, I raise my hands and aggressively shake my head.
"How about Bryan?"
"He's obviously taking Maya." I reply and Aaron flinches.
"Ugh. That's so .....predictable."
I laugh and try to look for some more ties. "Who are you taking?"
"Oh no, don't change the topic."
I sigh. "Obviously, there aren't any left, so I'll just stay home and enjoy the last couple of days with my family."
We walk outside the store, to get something to drink and sit down in front of a Starbucks.
I take a sip of my coffee and observe the other people.
"I have an idea." Aaron suddenly says and tilts his head slightly to the right.
"We'll dress up in the exact same outfits like Janice and Damian from Mean Girls?" I ask and lift my coffee.
"Why don't you take sexy Professor?"
The coffee exits my mouth and in one swift moment, flies towards Aaron. I start to cough, breathing heavily.
Aaron squeaks and searches for a napkin, trying to clean himself up.
"Alright, alright. It was just a suggestion, you don't have to puke all over me."
We both start to laugh and between coughs I'm able to suck in some air.
"I can believe that you really just said that."
"You're so stuck up." He tells me.
I gasp. "I am not."
Aaron grins and leans back. "Yes you are. Why won't you take him?"
"3 reason." I say. "First. He's my teacher. Second. He's 49. Third. I wouldn't ever give him the satisfaction of asking him to prom. He could hold it against me for ages."
"I thought asking someone to prom was...cute?" Aaron states and frowns.
"Well, Downey isn't cute. He just waits for the moment he can crush me. But not this time, I will be ready. I will win. This time, I will smash him and his perfect hair, until he begs for mercy."
Aaron gulps and his eyes widen. "You sound like a serial killer." He says. "But, you both two see each other."
I nod.
"So, you still like him?"
"No, I hate him. He's a horrible, horrible person."
"But I thought you're still seeing him?" Aaron asks and I can almost see his mind running wild.
"We are. Occasionally." I reply. "We have a date tomorrow.....or a meeting....or....I don't really know what exactly it is."
"You're a sick, sick person, Aria. And I think that this is a sick relationship."
Aaron tells me.
"I figured that by now." I say and stare into the air. "You want another coffee?"
Aaron denies.
"Are you engaging in intimate actions with this man?"
"From time to time." I reply.
"But how do you...like... hide it in school?"
I frown. "Actually, we kind of..don't ."
He raises an eyebrow.
"Seriously." I repeat. "I'm surprised that nobody has ever gotten suspicious."
"It's the only illegal thing you've ever done. So I'm kind of proud." Aaron tells me and I start laughing.
"Not completely illegal, though. Since he's not my real teacher."
"Fair enough." He says. "So, tomorrow?"
I nod and my mind wanders towards the day.
"Tomorrow."
"What are you doing?" He asks, curiously.
"I don't know yet, he's picking me up after school." I answer.
"I think you should ask him to prom. It's kind of badass."
"No." I shout. "It's simply stupid. He's gonna laugh at me and then I have to hear it until summer."
"What if he says yes?" Aaron imagines.
"Obviously, he's not going to. So, this isn't something we need to discuss."
"Goodness gracious. Aria! Take a damn risk. For once in your life." Aaron hisses.
I'm surprised by his sudden aggressive tone and amused at the same time.
"Fuck you." I reply and Aaron raises a finger.
"Sweeten yourself, young lady. Watch the language."
"What? Sweeten myself? What's that supposed to mean?"
Aaron shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know yet, just invented it."
"You're unbelievable."
"And you're not. So I think we'll make a wonderful match." He nods. "Like this yin yang shit."
"Definitely." I reply, sarcastic.
We sit there for a while, talking about wether Aaron should go with a bow tie or a regular tie and if black suits him better than grey.
I tell him to go with grey, a bit more extraordinary.
He decides to buy both and picks out three different ties.
"You'll never wear a green tie, Aaron." I tell him and trie to put it back.
"Let me buy the tie I want. I'm an adult." He shouts and snaps the piece out of my hand.
I sigh and let him run over to the cashier.
Shaking my head, I walk towards the exit, looking around the shop. My eyes wander over the clothing racks and people trying on stuff. When my eyes catch familiar looking hair, I stop and stare.
Squinting my eyes, I move a bit closer. But the wavy mess is incomparable. The breath seems to be stuck in my throat as he turns around and looks at himself in the mirror.
Like a stalker, I hide behind the racks and try to catch a glimpse.
"What on earth are you doing?" Aaron says, loudly. I jump up and squeak.
"Psssst." I hiss, but Aaron has already spotted Downey on the other side of the store. Just in that moment, he turns around and looks at Aaron, then at me. Back at Aaron, at me. Aaron. Me. Aaron. Me.
"Let's go." I say and slowly move backwards.
"Oh no, I'm so going to enjoy this." Aaron says and suddenly grabs my arm, pulling me towards the Professor.