Not A Bad Thing.

"Wha- What do you mean?"
Downey's voice is shaky and I want to slap I'm in his stupid face for that.
I hear John sitting down on the bed.
"There is a bra on the floor."
My hands immediately wander towards my chest. Oh no. I didn't put on my bra.
"Freaking idiot." I mumble through my gritted teeth and quickly hold one hand on my lips.
"What was that?" John asks and I hear him walking towards the closet.
My mind begins to run a race and I start to search for a place to hide.
"Nothing!" Downey screams in a high pitched voice and stumbles against the closet door.
"Come on Rob. Who's in there?" John says. "Introduce your girlfriend to me."
As I hear John say that, I turn around and climb into the closet under the clothing rack, between loads of suit jackets. Why does he have so many suits?
"Why don't you go downstairs and make some coffee and I get dressed." Downey says.
I hear John sigh and move away. "Alright, alright. Big brother has his secrets. I respect that." He says and I hear that John shuts the bedroom door behind him.
Suddenly, the closet door opens and Downey steps in.
"Aria? Where are you?"
He walks towards me and shoves the suits to the side, staring at me.
"What on earth are you doing?"
"I'm hiding!" I hush and he starts giggling.
"Why?"
"Because your brother could have walked in here!" I answer and try to get out of the clothing rack.
I fall forward onto him and he catches me, throwing his arms around me.
"Hey there gorgeous." He whispers an I push him away.
"I need to get out of here, before John sees me."
Downey frowns and follows me outside the closet. "Or you could stay here and we could continue doing what we were doing."
I raise my eyebrows. "You're down with having sex, even though your brother is downstairs?" I say. "You're a sick, sick man, Downey."
"He has seen worse I guess." He replies and grins, knowingly.
I wander around the room as quietly as I can.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm searching for my bra." I reply.
"You mean this right here?" He says and holds up a red piece of underwear.
"Give it to me." I hiss and try to get a grip, but Downey is way quicker and jerks away.
"Oops." He mumbles and walks away from me.
"Stop it! Now!"
"What will you do for me if I give it to you?" He asks with a mischievous grin on his face.
"Smack you in the face." I answer.
"You're never any fun." He groans and throws it at me.
"And you never act your age."
I quickly change and as I'm about to throw on my shirt again, I feel hands on my stomach, coming from behind.
Downey buries his face in my neck and goosebumps appear all over my body.
"I need to go." I whisper in a breath.
He shakes his head and kisses my shoulder blades.
"You don't need to."
"I don't want John to see me." I reply and pull myself out of his embrace.
"Why?" He says and I can feel that he's angry.
"You're really starting this conversation? Right now?"
He nods and crosses his arms. "Yes. Answer the question, Aria."
"Let's see. Maybe I don't want your brother, who is involved with my sister, to see me naked in my teachers bedroom. How about that?" I hiss through my gritted teeth.
Downey still stares at me blankly.
"What do you want me to do, Downey?" I ask him. "I can't change this situation. I won't change the way my dad will probably react if he finds out or my mom. Most certainly I won't risk my graduation or your job. So tell me what I should do to make you feel better about this. Because I don't have a clue."
He looks down to his bare feet and scratches the back of his head.
"All I want is to see you tomorrow."
"What?" I say and frown.
I'm now fully dressed, ready to leave.
"And every tomorrow. All I know is that I want to see you everyday and that this pain appears somehow when I don't. I want to be the last voice you hear tonight and very other night. I want to wake up every morning, looking at your eyes." He starts and looks up, catching my gaze. "I know that it's the worst case of relationship barrier we have right here, but it doesn't matter. I don't care. I'm okay with everything you want this to be. As long as this, right here, is something."
Downey starts walking towards me.
"But I can't guarantee you that, Downey. I don't know what I want to do in three weeks, or with the rest of my life." I reply.
"I know that." He states and takes my hand. "But don't act like it's a bad thing to fall in love with me."
A grin appears on my face.
"Did you just quote Justin Timberlake?"
He starts to smile and shows his white teeth. "Maybe."
"You're unbelievable." I say and shake my head. "How do I get out of here?"
"One last question." Downey says and raises a hand. "Do you want to do this?"
I frown, not knowing what exactly to answer.
"Just tell me yes or no."
We stay there for a while, in awkward silence.
Then my head moves by itself, up and down. "Yes." I whisper as loud as I can.
His face lights up and he immediately takes my face in his hands, pressing his soft lips on mine. Our lips lock and my knees go weak.
I part from him.
"But we have to do this as low key as possible."
He nods aggressively. "Of course."
"And no surprise visits at my house in the middle of the night." I raise a hand, warning him.
His eyebrow arches. "You sure about that?"
I roll my eyes and cross my arms.
"How am I going to get out of here?"
Downey points with one finger towards the huge glass door, through which you can see the ocean.
"You've got to be kidding me." I say and walk towards the door.
"There is a ladder attached to the left side of the balcony. You can just walk a bit on the beach and then you should get to the street." He explains
and starts to put on a clean shirt.
"I can't believe that I'm doing this."
Downey starts laughing and then John's voice resounds from downstairs.
"MOVE YOUR ASS, ROBERT!"
"He's always so...lovely." Downey says and grins. "When do I see you again?"
"Probably on Monday. In school." I reply and open the glass door.
The salty air brushes against my skin and I feel some sort of relief.
"That's so far away."
I breathe in the ocean air. "You want to go swimming?"
Downey's facial expression changes. "What?"
His eyes widen in surprise.
"I asked if you'd like to go swim in the ocean." I repeat.
"What about John?" Downey frowns.
"Can't he just go alone?"
He takes a deep breath. Downey is wrestling with himself, knowing exactly what he should do, but somehow it's not what he wants to do.
Then he walks towards the door and opens it, leaning outside of the bedroom.
"JOHN!" He shouts.
"ARE YOU READY?" John replies and Downey steps a bit further outside.
"I'm not going!"
"What? Why?" John sounds surprised.
"I have to prepare some stuff." Downey replies.
I shake my head and start giggling.
"What's so funny about that?" John shouts and I immediately hold a hand in front of my mouth.
Downey shoots me a stare.
"Nothing. I'm sorry John. I really need to do this, just reschedule and I'll talk to Louis about this."
"He won't be pleased about this, Robert."
John seems annoyed and I'm starting to overthink my proposal.
"I'll call him later, he'll understand. I gotta work now, John."
I hear his brother groan and then there is a sudden silence.
"John?" Downey says.
"It's Hannah's."
I hear Johns voice coming nearer again.
"What?"
"It's Hannah's!" John now shuts angrily. "The bra in your room. It's from Hannah!"
"No it's not from Ha-
And within a couple of seconds, John has gotten up the stairs, pushing Downey inside his room.
"Hannah? If you're in there, answer me!" John screams now and hammers against the closet door. He didn't even take a look to the right, where I stand, pressed against the glass window, hoping he won't see me.
Downey's eyes are widened and his jar tenses.
"John. She isn't in there. I didn't sleep with Hannah last night." He says very calm.
"Then why did you have her bra in your room? I know it's her's, Robert."
Johns clenches his fists.
"As I said, I didn't sleep with Hannah last night." Downey repeats.
"Well then who the fuck did you sleep with, Rob-
As John's eyes land on me, my whole body tenses.
He blinks a couple of times and then turns back to Downey.
"Wha-" He starts and then looks back at me. When he realises, John steadies himself on the closet door handle. "Oh no."
We all stare at each other in silence until John speaks the two words I never would have thought, would break everything apart.
"Not again."