Eye Of The Storm.

I can feel his heartbeat through my shirt. He is so close. Breathing feels like a chore now and I know that if I don't step away, this will escalate. Immediately.

"I just want you to understand." Downey continues to speak, as he doesn't let go of my hand. I try to pull away, my mind screams to let go, yet my body doesn't move a tiny bit. He is so close, he could be my reflection. Our lower bodies are pressed against each other, his face only inches away. And I feel as if the space between us keeps getting smaller. It would only take him a dip with his head to close this gap. Just a moment. A swift movement. How I want him to move.

"Aria?"

A voice from behind rips me out of my state of mind. Downey and I turn our heads and see Keith standing a couple of feet away, with one cup in each hand. I pull away from Downey and immediately feel the loss ofwarmth. It feels dreadful.

"Keith." I stammer and try a smile.

"What is going on here?" He seems confused and looks as if he doesn't want to assume anything that could make someone angry. I walk towards him and take one cup from his hand.

"Thanks so much for the coffee. That will probably sober him up a bit."

Keith runs his free hand alongside his head and blinks a couple of times. "No problem. Do you want me to take you home now?"

I shake myhead. "Thanks, but I think he needs to stay here for a bit."

My answer apparently disappoints him, because he looks as if I had just told him his parents died in a car crash.

"I'm sorry that this was such a shit show." I apologise and put one hand on his arm. He tries a weak smile, but I know that he imagined this date to end differently. I hear Downey groan from behind and turn around. I narrow my eyes, only to see that he is laying on the ground again.

"I gotta get back." I say and Keith nods. I make my way back and then hear Keith speak.

"Aria?" He has the most dangerous thing in his voice in that moment. Hope. "Would you maybe want to give me your number? If I'm ever in New York or you in Ohio."

I frown. "Keith, I don't think tha-

"Just so I don't feel like a failure, okay?" He interrupts and I smile.

"Alright. Give me your phone."

I give him my number as quick as I can and walk back to Downey. Keith doesn't know that I'm getting a new phone in the next couple of days and a new number. But I don't think he'd ever call or text. It's just for the voice in his head, telling him that he will stay here for the rest of his life.

I step up to Downey and look down at him. His suit is all crumbled up and covered with dirt spots. His hair is completely out of place, hanging in his eyes.

I kneel down infront of him and before I can remind myself that I shouldn't, my hand wanders up towards his head and combs the mess of hair backwards, out of his eyes. He looks up at me and says nothing, just stares at me without any facial expression.

"We need to get you home." I whisper and Downey slightly nods. Or just moves his head in a weird way, I take it as a nod.

He tries to get up and I pull him with all the strength I have in my body. He is heavier than I thought he'd be.  Apparently, sarcasm weighs a lot.

His breath is visible in the cold air and heavier than usual. I can't imagine how I'm gonna get him back to the hotel. It's not that far away, maybe a thirty minute walk. When you walk fast and don't have a grown man literally on your back.