Let Me In.

Torture.
The dinner was torture.
I had to calm myself so much, to stop myself from hitting him straight in the face. This ass-kissing smile and fake laugh, whenever my dad made a horrible joke. My parents adored his stories and hung on every word he said. John and Hannah were both in their little bubble and didn't even listen to one word I said.
So I just sat there, for two hours, waiting for the end.
He knew exactly what he was doing. Acting as if he was the nicest guy possible. But with every stolen glance and accidental touch, we both knew he wasn't, we definitely knew.
"Would you hand me the water please, Darling?" My dad says and rips me out of my inner monologue.
I blink a couple of times and stretch out my arm. "Sure."
But before I can touch the bottle, Downey has already wrapped his hand around mine. "I'll do it."
The tiny movement upwards of his left mouth corner, is almost vanished, as I immediately pull away my hand. The warmth of his fingers disappear and once again, I'm reminded of what effect his hands, have on me.
"Thanks, Robert. And by the way, do you think you can manage to get her the internship?"
I frown and raise my head. "What internship?"
"I don't see any reason why I wouldn't." He replies and winks at me.
"What internship?" I repeat.
My dad smiles and points at Downey. "Robert here, said he could get you an internship at his publishing house, right after graduation."
"Since when do you have a publishing house?" I say and my jar tenses.
"I just never told you." He says and obviously enjoys this situation way too much. "With an internship right after high school, you could have a little bonus for your college application. And as a writer, having worked at a publishing house is a very helpful experience."
My eyes narrow. "Who says I want to do it?"
"I thought it would be a good idea." My dad interferes.
"Maybe I don't want to take this internship, what if I wanted to go abroad for a couple of months?" I say and cross my arms.
"Where would you want to go?" Downey mumbles and tries to hide his deep chuckle.
I'm angry now. Angry that they haven't even thought about considering my opinion. Just decided what's best for me. And most importantly I'm mad at Downey for engaging so much in my family life.
"Well, it's not something you have to bother with." I say, leaning back.
He raises an eyebrow and runs his fingers thorough his wavy mess.
"Please, enlighten me."
I take a second to consider my answer.
"I'm playing with the thought of going to England for some time. I heard Hampshire is supposed to be wonderful."
He gasps incredulously. "And where do you think you'll live?"
"Yes Aria, you never told us about this sort of plan for your future."
My mom says and flicks her hair off of her shoulder. She hates it when I just say things like that. But she doesn't know that I just do it to annoy Downey.
"You remember the waiter from yesterday? Alex?" I say and Hannah immediately lifts up her head.
"The sexy British guy?"
I nod and try to hide my cheeky grin.
"Oh yeah."
John starts to laugh and casually puts his arm on the back of her chair. "What is it with women and British men?"
Downey rolls his eyes and leans forward. "You've got to be kidding me."
My mom looks at Hannah. "Is that the one who helped with the tables from outside, even after his paid hours?"
Hannah agrees and leans a bit into Johns half embrace.
"And he wants to take you to England?" My dad asks, pouring some more wine into his glass. Downey lifts up his and immediately drinks up.
"He said, he could arrange some things." I reply and enjoy this situation, tremendously.
"But you don't even know this guy."
My mom pats my dad on the shoulder. "Why don't we invite him over some time? He seems like a nice person to talk to."
I can't hide the smirk on my face, knowing my success.
Downey arches one eyebrow and seems to be about to burst out into flames.
His jaw tenses, so do his hands and probably every other muscle in his body. The shirt tightens around his chest, which lifts up in a rather controlled rhythm.
Suddenly, he rises from his seat and neatly folds his napkin.
"I'm desperately sorry for such inappropriate behaviour, but I have to leave."
Everybody, except me stands up and looks at him, understanding nothing.
"Why?" John says and frowns.
Just now I see that he has grabbed Hannah's hand.
"I just got an emergency text." He responses.
"From whom?"
Downey tries to tell him to stop, with his eyes. But John just keeps talking.
"Who would send you an emergency text? You're not in charge of anything."
"Well. It's nothing I have to bother you with." Downey snaps and John raises his eyebrows, knowing that something is wrong.
"Well, it's such a shame you have to go. I will walk you to the door." My father says and pulls back his chair. But Downey stretches out his arms and makes him stop his movement.
"Don't. I don't want to cause any inconvenience."
My dad shakes his head, but doesn't rise.
"Aria can do it." Downey proposes.
I gasp and try not to chuckle.
"Why not." I say and rise from my seat. "We'll be right back."
Downey hugs my parents and Hannah, then leaves for the door.
I follow him out of the dining room and open the door.
We walk in silence to his car.
Downey unlocks it with his key and turns around.
He inhales slowly.
"So..."
I frown. "So.... what?"
He leans with his back, against the car and sighs.
"England? Really?"
"Maybe. I don't know yet." I say.
"Well. I think you can do better."
"Thank god, nobody listens to what you think." I snap and cross my arms.
"You've been cocky all evening." He states.
"You've been annoying the whole weekend." I reply and smirk.
"I can't help it. You always get me to make a fool out of myself." Downey says and I feel he wants to lean closer.
"I certainly hope so."
His hand touches my arm and lightning shoots through my body.
"Why don't we get out of here?" He whispers.
"I don't think this is a good idea."
"Why not? Why do you never want to take a risk or go somewhere with me?"
Downey's voice is louder now, getting angry.
"Because you're my teacher and this is not an appropriate relationship." I hiss trough my teeth, trying to keep the volume a bit down.
Downey crinkles his face and nods.
"Appropriate?"
Scratching my neck, I sigh and stare at the ground.
"So, you don't really want this?"
His voice is a bit hesitant.
"I don't know what I want, Downey. It's not that easy. In two weeks I'll graduate from high school and maybe I'll go to England for three years and maybe I will go straight to college." I feel my hands shiver. "But the thing is that I don't have to decide right now. Neither do I have to please anyone with my decision."
He waits for my monologue to end, doesn't say anything.
"There is a 31 year difference between us-
Downey gasps. "Are you kidding me?"
"Hm?"
"Don't you dare, say something like that. I didn't force you into any of this. And in case you didn't know, there are two people needed for sex. First, you're all over me and then this other guy comes along and nothing ever happened? What do you want, Aria? I will accept every decision, if you just tell me what you want!"
"Maybe we should just end this."
He blinks a couple of times and I don't know who of us is more surprised about my statement.
"You're really sure about that?" He asks, as if we're trying to finish a business deal.
"I'm not sure about anything right now."
He tilts his head a bit and starts to smile. I frown and step back a little.
"What? Why are you smiling?"
"I just realised something."
Raising one eyebrow, I stay silent.
His smile develops into a raspy chuckle.
"You're never gonna stay away from me. This is never gonna stop." He points his finger between us. "We're like Elisabeth and Darcy, Johnny and Baby or peanut butter and jelly. We just go together."
"Did you really just compare me to peanut butter?" I ask and put my hands on my hips.
"See, I say all these romantic things and the only one you really get is peanut butter." Downey replies and I can't help but join in his laughter.
"So, what happens now?" I say and lean next to him against his car.
He stretches out his hand and raises an eyebrow. I could swear that I hear the Jet song playing somewhere near, as he says: "Well then, are you gonna be my girl?"