Dancing On My Own.

Robert's POV

It's never on the day you leave that you can't remember why you said goodbye and you forget what you believe.

She will fight for you and beg on her knees for you to hear her, to accept her as she is. But you don't and you won't.

It's never on the day you leave, you remember all the things you miss about her family. You sit alone in your room and recall their love that you used to feel. But you don't and you won't.

You wish you had given her one more kiss, but not on the day you leave.

And you love her, with every fibre of your being.

But never, never on the day you leave.

It's empty.

The left side of my bed is empty.

When I woke up this morning with cold sweat running down my back, it was empty,

Which is reasonable, for when I went to bed last night, it was as well.

My hand inspects the vacant space next to me. It feels damp and smells like me. I feel tired. My muscles are sore and my head hurts.

There are over fifteen new messages on my phone, yet I turn over and lift myself off of the bed. Changing into a clean shirt. I turn on the coffee machine and get out a mug. As I turn to the kitchen counter, my eyes land on the grey cup that is standing alone. Cold tea sitting in there, still. The little bag dangling over the side.

One thought is running through head and going along with everything I think about.

'It's over'.

The city outside is waking up with heavy noise and out of the corner of my eye I see people taking cabs and getting out of them. Riding their bikes through the narrow lanes. Shouting at each other and flashing wry smiles.

I've never been a dreamer. Always been more fond of the reality around me. Something that I could actually change and alter to my liking. Never liked the idea of being stuck in an illusion that will never really happen. Being the creator of your own success used to be something I believe in.

Yet for a while now, I've been living inside a dream. An illusion so vivid and clear to me that it almost feels like reality. No. Better. Better than reality. Because the life around me doesn't taste as sweet or feels as warm anymore. So for the last days I have been doing nothing but laying in bed and waiting for her to occur in my dreams.

Every time I hear an old familiar sound, I turn around, thinking it is her. But it never is. And I know in my heart that it never will be.

There is a knock on my door and at first I think it was just my imagination playing tricks. But as the sound seems to endure, I turn my head.

What if it is her?

This idea jumps around in my mind, throwing itself against the inside of my head, keeping me from changing it.

My feet drag me to the door and I open it. But every last countenance slips away, when I fully acknowledge the person in front of me.