Chapter 42

The next few days at Hogwarts were filled with the organisation of NEWT level subjects, getting use to the workload and of course, modifying to school life now that Fred was gone. Hallie took great appreciation in staying close to people in the Gryffindor Common Room, to avoid her from missing him too much. The weather, which was pleasantly mild for a day in September, seemed to lift everybody's mood in the dormitories, as it reminded them that summer wasn't long gone. At last, the day where Hallie finally got to open her letter came about.

"Happy birthday, Hallie!" Hermione said, handing her over a box that was complimented with a large bow on top. Hermione had just finished making her bed whenever she sat down beside her.

"Oh, thank you Hermione," Hallie beamed at her and opened the present carefully. Inside was a warm pair of woollen gloves, a sunflower scrunchie and a small little necklace that had the initial 'H' on it.

"Thank you!" She smiled at her once more.

"Happy birthday, Hals," Lavender smiled, handing her over a box. Hallie felt utterly surprised by this, she still sorely believed that Lavender believed she was the enemy, or rather, a freak.

"Thanks," Hallie nodded and opened the box. Inside was a collection of small soaps, all smelling differently. One was scented milk and honey, another strawberry and, of course, lavender. She lifted up the small birthday card that was tucked in neatly at the side.

Happy 17th birthday Hallie!

I'm so sorry for everything that I put you through last year. You're not a freak, I am. You've only ever been kind to me and look at how I threw that back in your face! You're amazing, and thank you for being you.

Love from Lavender xo

"Aw!" Hallie smiled and gave her a hug.

"She made me read over the card and everything," Parvati laughed. "Happy birthday."

Parvati had also got her a small purse with three chocolate frogs on the inside. A small collection of rocks were also there, representing different colours of hope and strength.

"Now breakfast," Lavender said, patting her stomach. "I'm starving!"

"I'll be with you soon," Hallie smiled, thinking of the letter.

"Alright, see you soon!"

As they all left the room, Hallie went over to the front of her bag. For many years, she had resisted temptation of opening this letter. However, she always knew that messing with the concepts of time was a messy and dangerous thing. As she looked at the piece of parchment, still as white as it had been the day Dumbledore had given her, she breathed nervously and began to open it.

This was the moment.

Dear Hallie Blackwell,

Enclosed in this letter is your Grandfather's will. On the day of your 17th birthday, he wanted you to acquire this rock. With it, he left another note for you to solve. I ask you not to ask me to help, as I am not certain what it means. Only you can work this out for yourself. However, I can tell you that this is an important part of your destiny, and working it out is of crucial importance.

Albus Dumbledore.

Under the candlelight, stars, and moon will the most precious desire be revealed. All is tied together by the special touch of the charm, derived from the heart of the truest believer.

"Another ruddy riddle," Hallie thought.

Hallie read the words again, he wanted you to acquire this rock. If this letter had made anything more clear, it was the fact that her grandfather knew about her arrival even before her mother. Hallie believed he was no ordinary man, and all the evidence pointed in the direction that he could see somewhat of the future. She looked down at the small rock that was now hers, she didn't know what it could possibly mean or what the riddle meant, but she knew that finding out the truth was probably closer than she could imagine, or maybe she was completely wrong.