Chapter 23

"Turn to page 394," Snape stated in his silky voice.

"So it's true then," Blaise Zabini stated. "Blackwell's washed up mother had a thing for Draco's father and she was the product of her own mother's obsession! Maybe if you're lucky, you'll feature in the front of the daily prophet instead of Saint Potter."

A ripple of laughter was heard from the members at his table. Hallie simply looked down at her potions book, trying to ignore him.

"It takes two people to make a kid, Blaise," Anastasia piped up. "Not that you'd have enough brain cells to even comprehend that."

Ron snorted with laughter at this, followed by Hermione who tried to make it a lot less obvious.

"Shut your mouth, Anastasia," Blaise scowled.

"Maybe if you aimed all that bitterness into your OWLS, you'd have a future destined away from Azkaban."

"Oh you little—"

"Mr Zabini and Miss Hill," Professor Snape lifted his head from the book and looked at them through his emotionless eyes. "Could you refrain from disrupting my class with your pathetic personal differences."

Both of them fell silent in that moment. No one else spoke for the rest of the lesson - too afraid that Snape would give them detention.

"What are the key ingredients to the Wit sharpening potion?" Snape asked, looking around the classroom with authority. Hallie raised her hand slowly, while Hermione's shot right up quickly.

"Yes, Miss Blackwell?"

"Ground scarab beetles, ginger roots, armadillo bile and newt spleens."

"Correct" he nodded. "I expect all of you to know this for your OWL examinations which, may I remind you, are in a few months time. A few of you are incompetent at remembering such basic detail," he turned his head towards Neville, "And are completely hopeless in the mindset of potions."

"I suppose you have plenty of time to memorise all the things in the textbook now that you have no friends," Blaise Zabini guffawed at Hallie.

"Detention, Mr Zabini," Snape sneered. "I told you not to speak again in my class, but yet you proceeded to make a fool of yourself."

"Not that it's so hard to do", Hallie muttered underneath her breath, without catching Snape's attention. Blaise heard her, and before he could say anything, Snape spoke first.

"Continue to read on," he pierced his lips together. "In silence."

***
"Did you see his face?" Anna laughed. "Deserves him right."

"Bullies never get anywhere, Hallie," Hermione said, walking out with her books in her hand. "The best way to beat them is in your school work."

"Definitely," Hallie nodded, grateful she had them by her side. "Thank you, Ana, for your help."

"No problem, Hal," she smiled. "Some people don't realise that a person can be related to evil people, while being so sweet and wholesome."

"Let people think what they want," Hermione reasoned. "This is a test of strength, and the rumours will die down."

"Fred said that too," Hallie nodded.

"I know what it feels like to have people associate you with darkness," Ana added. "Believe me, when others know you're in Slytherin, they never see past that."