Chapter 5- the declaration of war

We stood there waiting. And then halfway through Tybur's speech I realised something. I had to reach Eren. Now or he was going to do something drastic. I squeezed Levi's hand and let go murmuring in his ear that I would find him later, redressed myself in my gown, my disguise and walked into the crowd. I walked and hid occasionally when I saw the military, and made my way to the basement that I had seen Falco take the traitor.
I heard them talking and from there I could also hear the speech. Eren had picked the perfect place. People he could could kill above him and people below when and if he transformed. I knew out there war hammer Titan would be available, we had managed to trap the cart and jaw Titan, because we all had a feeling from the letters had been sending.
I waited a little while and then I entered the basement, a huge breath filling my lungs.
"What's going on in here?" I asked, "Mr Kruger, what are you-" then his eye pierced me. The jade green an pit of emotion. The only emotion I had seen him show the entire time we were here. I knew he thought I shouldn't be there so why was I?
"Why Mr Kruger what's with that look?" I laughed.
"Miss Berger." Falco said, and I could see the confusion and the terror in his eyes, I walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Falco, what's going on?"
"Mr Kruger asked me to bring Vice Chief Braun to him, but..." I squeezed his shoulder in reassurance. "And you have done so- you should head-"
"Falco should stay." Eren cut me off. "He should hear."
"Hear what?" I said feigning puzzlement.
"Hear the truth." Eren added. He turned to Reiner. "Isn't that right Reiner?"
I stood putting Falco behind me. My brother I trusted, the person he had become I trusted very little. I knew I was hypocritical but at that moment the young boy in this room was innocent. I would protect the innocent.
I listened to. Luckily Eren hadn't given my name away.
"Eren." We watched as Reiner got down in front of my brother, and he was crying. Eren was unmoved but he said the opposite to what I had assumed. Said that they were the same. And we watched as his amputated leg regrew.
My heart lurched. Falco's voice came from behind me, and I knew he was talking about the letters.
Even addressed this and I gasped, even though I knew. I was one of those that received the letters.
Then Tybur's voice came through the vent above us and I felt my breath catch.
He was declaring war! Not on Paradis, but on Eren!
No way!
Reiner heard this too and I saw his gaze flit to me and Falco.
I nodded at him.
"Eren, did Vice Chief Braun say your name was?" I said stepping forward tentatively. "Please let the boy go."
He turned to look at me, and ignored my statement.
My heart was beating a drum in my veins. I watched as Eren clasped Reiners hand.
"Please, Mr Kruger-Eren. Allow the boy to leave." I pleaded sensing that a transformation was about to take place. Tucking Falco more behind me and nearer to the door.
"I'm sorry." Was all he said. The look on Reiners face showed fear and he dived for Falco as Erens hand began shooting controlled electricity. I moved aside and allowed them to duck behind me.
"Please don't do this." I said, my eyes locking on Eren's.
"You of all people should be standing beside me." He said.
"Miss Berger-" I heard Falco scream before the room was ripped into fire. I closed my eyes and stripped the dress from me, using the ODM gear to zoom onto Eren's transforming body. The heat didn't faze me as it would only reheal. I zoomed outwards as the building tore apart, no doubt killing many and injuring more.
I zoomed in that inky blackness above a screaming Eren. I zoomed, catching my breath steam rising from my body.

With Levi and the others.

"Where did Layla go?" Hanje asked.
Levi muttered his gaze on the stage. "To find her brother." He knew why she had left. He knew she would try and stop him and it hurt his heart to think her brother would harm her in anyway. But he knew who Eren had become they had all seen it. Emotionless and destructive far more than she ever had.
They watched in silence those figures in the dark.
Armin gasped when they heard the declaration of war on Eren.
"Come on where are you?" Levi muttered. "Get out of there."
A stream of lightning came from the building that lay behind the stage.
"Layla?" Hanje gasped. Armin shook his head sadly.
"I don't think that's her." He said his voice breaking at the end.
A screaming Titan they all recognised broke from the building, sending rubble flying. They didn't see their comrade among it, so had she moved to safety?
Eren screamed to the heavens and then his glowing jade eyes landed on the Tybur heir on stage- the same one who had just declared war on him. His face frozen. That much they could see, then Erens gigantic hand flew down, and swiped the stage. Dust flew along with debris and a body with blond hair flew through the air.
A grunt came from beside them. They turned, swords drawn in seconds. A steaming Layla, stood there clothes shredded a little.
"Layla!" Armin almost shouted, not that anyone below would have heard given the chaos below. "Your safe!"
Levi's heart stilled at that moment. Her eyes. They too were glowing violet.
"No don't do it Layla!" He called.
"I have to save those who are innocent." A growl came from her, her voice altered.
"But you will reveal your Titan!" Hanje said. "I order you to stop."
"If I could Commander, I would. But I can't." She shuddered and dove towards her brother, slicing her hand as she went.
Another burst of lightning and Layla's Titan burst forth. The heat showing in the sky like a huge blast of heavenly light.
"Was it too late?" Hanje asked Levi as they ran over the rooftops.
"She was trying to hold back. You know what she's like." He scoffed.

Layla roared at Eren's form. Anger filled her very soul.
"Grrrrraaaaagh!" Came from her throat.
"Is that the war hammer Titan?" She heard someone call from below her.
She didn't dare look down.
"Grrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhh!" Eren roared back at her.
Layla stepped cautiously over the rubble, finding the body of Tybur as she went, gently as she could lifted his body to see if he still lived. She hoped so but nothing came from the now broken man, she lifted him to her ears and listened.
Satisfied with something, she grunted and placed him gently in the way of some military people. Then turned back to the Titan in front of her.
"It must be the warhammer!" Came delighted cries.
"Graph!" Layla roared, stepping closer to Eren. She moved aside debris on those that had fallen, allowing those trapped to move injured away from the scene. Her gaze never left the Titan-her brother.
He roared back.
"Stop." Came growling from her throat. "Stop. Now." It was amazing that her voice had developed so much in this form.
Eren just roared at her.
She focused her energy and her will, just like she had trained.
"Stop. Now." She roared. She saw the Titan shudder, as her command went through him. Then he roared.
Her eyes glowed a brighter violet. "You. Will. Stop." She said again and the Titan obeyed. "Innocent. Blood. Spilled. All. For. Retribution. War." She grunted getting closer. "Enough."
Eren shook off her command and lifted a hand. She caught it and went to bite his nape, pulling him from it. But he moved her aside, so that she bit into his shoulder. He roared in pain, steam rising from them both.