Chapter 33- the sea

We sat for a while near to Erwin's grave, lips locked for a long time.
I knew somewhere Erwin would be cheering right now.
When Levi and I paused to take a breath we were both panting. Levi's eyes were wide and round- very much not like him.
"How long?" He asked.
"Since the day when you told me I wasn't a monster." I replied. He seemed overjoyed by that. He explained that since that day he too had been feeling the same. Though before that feelings started to blossom. And we both laughed.
We both as obtuse as the other.
He then went on to say, lacing his fingers through mine that when I was unconscious it was the worst few weeks of his life. He had wrestled with his feelings. And had kissed me on the cheek in a last resort to get me to wake up.
I laughed. "So my knight in shining armour was humanity's strongest." He smiled with me. And what a smile it was. It brightened his face and it made me blush.
"What's wrong brat?" He said softly. "Your all pink."
"Nothing." I said stuttering, he caressed my face and I felt the heat rise further.
"Do you have a fever?" His hand then went to my forehead and I pushed it away quickly.
"No." I turned my face away from his and instead looked at Erwin's grave.
"He would be laughing his head off right now at the pair of us." Levi said before getting to his feet offering me his hand.
"Yes he would." I said, taking the offered hand, and allowing him to pull me up.
He then laced my fingers with his and held my hand.

We walked in together, hand in hand. But we soon let go, fingertips lingering on the others as if we didn't want to let go. Right now we couldn't show this. But someday soon.

We carried on, the best we could. Hanje had made Titan killing machines on the outer wall.
We made plans and then one day- after Historia's coronation we headed out. No longer did Hanje's machines kill titans. There were no more left.
The ten of us rode out past the walls.
It was freeing.
I rode on Levi's left. Hanje on his right. The others were behind us.
We rode on and on.
Like we were birds riding on the wind with how fast we were going. No titans in sight.
We rode til we went past dunes of sand. I knew what they were of course but the others stared wide eyed. I heard Eren's small gasp. It was clear those dunes were in his fathers memories.
We rode further still, until we reached a cliff top.
We stood staring- the others wide eyed at the sea. I just closed my eyes and breathed in deep. I had always loved the salty air.
I turned to Levi and saw his intense gaze. He was looking at me. Not the sea. I couldn't help but blush.
Excitedly I jumped off my horse and led it to a area to graze. I then wandered down to the seas edge, the sand squishing under my boots. Pausing I went back and pulled off my boots and left them on a rock. I then ran, like a child down to the waters edge.
I knew the others would follow me less exuberant, they would be curious. I let the wet sand squish between my toes as I felt the water wash against my legs. The salt tang kissed my lips. And then I felt a hand go to my shoulder. I turned my head and saw a very tired Eren.
"Look Eren." I said. "It's so blue."
He chuckled slowly. "It is." He smiled slightly. "I have only ever heard and dreamt about it."
"You'll ruin your boots in this water." I said motherly.
He chuckled. "Alright mother." He said sassily and he went back to take his boots off. I watched the others following suit, and had to laugh as Jean tried to drink salt water. Connie and Sasha has found shells. I left Armin, Eren and Mikasa in the water and wandered back onto the sand and began to pile it up, making a sandcastle.
I knew Levi had come to watch me, he sat beside me and began to pass me sand. He didn't need to say anything to me. I knew how he felt.
He was seeing this through Erwin's eyes. His fingers brushed mine.
"Layla?" He whispered close to my ear, and I shivered.
"Do you think-" He was cut off as Hanje screamed about finding a crab. I just smiled at her.
"Hmm?" I questioned. Going back to my sandcastle again. It needed a drawbridge and a turret.
"Here." Levi's hands went over mine and helped me to build the turret.
I blushed a little but he added. "Do you think maybe you would like to go on a date?" He whispered again.
I nodded. "What would we do?"
He stopped. Then looked at me. "How about a picnic?" He looked around us. "Here."
I laughed. "Sounds good." I replied. I could see his face inching closer to me. And then he put a piece of seaweed on my nose.
I yelled and shifted backwards- he was scared so much he fell on top of me.
We lay there frozen.
"Well look at that!" Hanje squealed. "Heichou and Layla!"
I sighed. "Cats out of the bag now." He sighed with me, dusted himself off of the sand and then helped me up.
We turned together and then without speaking laced our hands together.
I saw Eren's face and it looked like he would rather look anywhere but us.
"Oi Eren!" I shouted, slyly picking up the seaweed and pulled Levi with me. And then I flung the seaweed at Eren. It landed right in his face and he flopped into the water like a fish on land. I had to laugh.
Mikasa stifled a laugh and Armin was struggling to breathe.
Hanje was running over to go and see what I had thrown at him, Sasha, Connie and Jean were laughing and pointing at him. I winked at Levi and then ran behind them, leaving him behind and pushing them into the water.

This led to a game of tag and lots of wet fun. We were drenched when we finished but it had been an amazing and peaceful day.