Chapter 8- fill the hole and a figure

We slew Titans that had spotted Eren, as he struggled under the weight of the rock. But he kept going.
Steam erupted from us shoulders, his grinning grimaced face set in determination.
Titan blood burned my skin as we kept going, keeping the path clear for Eren.
Soon he was there, but another Titan blocked his way. Mikasa and I flew around but couldn't reach its nape. Eren lost the rock as the Titan pulled at him. Pulling from underneath.
"Like hell." I growled and made my way twisting and turning in mid air, when eventually slicing its nape. It fell and Eren regrabbed the rock and laced it in the hole, sealing the wall.

We cheered but it was short lived. More Titans began coming for Eren. And we were exhausted. This was where mistakes would happen and people would die.
We fought.
How had there been so many? Hadn't we been killing loads? How were there so many?

Soon Eren collapsed. We were next to him on the floor, Mikasa and I had fallen-again out of gas.
We were sitting ducks for the Titans approaching us, and none of the others were nearby. They were fighting their own Titans.
Well if I was to die like this I'd die fighting.
Wearily I stood, swords clenched tight in my hands. Teeth gritted tight.
If I was to meet my maker-I'd have some choice words to say to them. Many of which I couldn't repeat right now.
I stood. Ready.
"Mikasa?" I said coldly. "Protect Eren with all your might. I'll take these." I knew she would, till her last breath. But the words needed to be said. "Thank you for being a family to me. A sister, brothers. It's been good. If we meet again, I expect to hear the fall of the Titans come from your mouths and freedom for humanity in the walls."
"Layla" Mikasa said in a soft voice. "No. We need you."
"Na, you never needed me. I needed you." I clenched and scanned for the best place to stand. "I'll lead them away. Live. Love. Fight."

Psst. Out shot the grappling hook. I would die fighting with a song on my lips and a sword in my hand. Without the gas I was a dead woman. But I would die before Eren did. Before Mikasa. Before anyone from the 104th Cadet corps and my friends.

"Gah!" I screamed. "Come and get me you ugly bastards!" I screamed. "Come on free buffet right here!" They grinned and lumbered after me. I laughed psychotically. "That's it! 'I know I am running out of time, and I wish they'd stop trying to turn me off'" I dived out of the way of a mouth and hands spinning in the air. "' and I'm walking on a wire, trying to get higher, feels like I'm surrounded by clowns and liars, even when I get it all the way, I want it all.'" Another soon and dive, slash and slice. "We can get em running, running, running. We can get em running, running, running. Just like fire, burning out the way, if I can light the world up for just one day, watch this madness this colourful charade, no one can just like me anyway. Just like magic, I'll be flying free, i'mma disappear when they come for me.'" Duck, dive, slice and slash.
"I kick the ceiling, whatcha gonna say, just like fire."'
A hand swiped out of midair, and caught a hold of my line. I desperately tried to detach, but they yanked me to the side and into a large fist. I struggled, my arms pinned to my side. I still had my swords. I would slice him from inside if I had to.

A wide gaping enormous mouth, white brick like teeth. A pink and snake like tongue. It threw me inside, straight away I flipped my sword and stabbed it straight down into its jaw.
"If I go, you go with me." I growled. Steam hit my face, making my eyes water and the feeling of scorched flesh burned my skin.
"Gah, swallow me now you bastard!" I screamed.

Elsewhere with Eren and Mikasa.

Eren pulled himself from his steaming Titan body, glanced at the hole and cheered then turned and saw the grimace on Mikasa's face.
"Where's Layla?" He asked. "She was here a-"
Layla's battle cry sounded from a few miles away as well as her "Swallow me now you bastard!"
Erens face drained of colour. "No!" He yelled struggling to stand. "Mikasa go after her."
"Eren it's too late. I wouldn't get there in time." She hung her head as she spoke, her hands clenching and unclenching.

Bang.
A figure zoomed past them, as fast as a speeding bullet. All they saw was green. The light reflecting off a sword as the figure zoomed past, the air ruffling their hair.
"Who was that?" They said in unison.

Back with Layla.

I refused to go down that slimy throat. I dug the sword in deeper, strength beginning to fail me. Blood spurted. Singed flesh filled the air, and the mouth started to close.
"Uh, uh." I said taking my other sword and driving it through the roof the mouth, halting it in its tracks. "Not without a fight you ain't getting me that easily." I chuckled. A green swipe outside those white bricks zoomed past so fast I thought the steam was making me hallucinate. Then a swish and the Titan began to fall. I would have to leave my swords in the mouth, I released them and as the Titan went down, I flew from it's mouth, grappling hooks latching onto the roof of a house. I had no strength left, so I just dangled. The figure in green stood there, swords drawn, its face now to the sun, on the back of the now steaming, dying Titan that had me in its clutches. As I looked wearily other green figures were darting about faster than humanly possible killing the final titans we had not been able to kill.