Chapter 29- sleeping beauty

"She's knocked right out." Hanje said, her eye bandaged. Her, Levi and Erwin were stood over a seemingly lifeless Layla. The only way they knew she was alive was by the rise and fall of her chest.
"Tch. Brat overworked herself." Levi said. He too was bandaged up, his leg in this case.
"So what happened?" Erwin asked.
Levi and Hanje told him. He seemed thoughtful. "If She has this power, it would benefit us greatly. Eren also has this to a small degree as well."
"Layla seems to be now the more powerful of the two." Hanje said her eye twinkling. Then it sobered. "We need to find out why there are titans within the walls."
Erwin agreed. "While Layla recovers, let's find out that. We can do more with Eren, but I wager he won't do much until his sister awakes."
Levi nodded. He watched the young woman, her breath steady.
She had done so much and had lost more than any woman should. He felt a pang of sadness. Then stifled it.

It was true. Eren was so worried about her he could barely focus. The others told him she would wake, but it didn't stop them from worrying too.
She had transformed with very little rest. It would have an effect on her body.
In the meantime they got to work.
Historia was going to fight against the King, Erwin had found he was a fake. But the only way to expose him was to create a coup.
It got him and the others arrested, or fleeing.
Layla and Erwin were taken into custody. Mainly because Layla was at present indisposed and Erwin the commander.

The coup was successful. Eren has succeeded in doing what he needed to. Historia would be the Queen, and her people had seen her deal the final blow to a Titan.
When they returned, Layla had still to awaken.
It worried them. Her body would soon die if she didn't have liquids. It was Armin who suggested that liquids be put into her via a flask every so often small sips so that the water didn't go into her lungs. This worked.
But she still didn't wake.

Levi watched her anxiously. He like many of the brats was worried that she would never wake. While she slept like some fairytale princess,enchanted to sleep. Things were happening behind the scenes. Historia had begun to change things, allowing the children from the Underground where he had grown up into the fields where she had grown up. Allowing them to taste the air and feel the sun. Reiss had passed away not long after they had arrived on the scene, after his defeat.

Everyday one of the new Scout regiment- the Levi squad would stop by and sit with Layla. They willed her to wake. None so more than their captain, her brother and her best friend.
One time they sat together- almost to the point of drawing blows in an attempt to get her to wake.

More time passed. Layla still didn't wake.
Levi was becoming even more worried.
He had already lost three women he had cared about, he wasn't going to lose a fourth.
He swore if she awoke soon, he would treat her with more respect. The respect she deserved.

With Layla.
Everything was dark.
I couldn't feel my body, floating weightless.
Scenes flashed by me. Not my life but someone else's.
It must have been Historia's sister- I saw Historia when she was younger. Then I saw who must have been Erens father. He was a shifter. So had Eren....? His father must have planned this. Planned so Eren could take over.
Some things were slotting into place.
So you can see now. Came a ethereal voice. I turned. A young woman with blond hair stood there. That wasn't Historia's sister.
The ethereal person laughed. No that I am not. But we are all linked you and I.
"But how? I am not even from here?" I said. Noticing my voice echoed.
That you are not. She replied. However something happened when you came to this world Layla Drake. Something odd.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
She floated closer.
Meaning some how you have obtained the founding titans powers without becoming a mindless Titan like we all have. She answered. Now she was closer I could see that she looked sad.
I am. She replied. I was much like you once. Strong and brave and somewhat foolish. But I am the reason that there are titans. That is all my doing.
I just looked at her. Sadness radiated off her in waves.
"Why are you so sad?" I asked her.
Because this war has gone on long enough. Too long. But at present there is no way to stop it. Lives will be lost. So many more than already has been. She replied cryptically.
I blanched. More death?
I believe that this was the reason you were brought to this world Layla Drake. You can change the flow of things. Somehow you connected with us and came here. No one. A unknown entity. You can be the one to stop so much death. She looked pained at that.
"So I can stop people from dying? Hasn't worked so far." I retorted. "Many died despite me trying to save them."
Those were fated. She replied cryptically again. Their deaths were written. That's something that cannot change.
"If some deaths have been written how am I to stop it?" I said angrily.
There will be some to die as a result of actions. It is those actions that must be stopped not the deaths. She was very calm.
"How will I know though?"
The Titan will guide you. Listen within. She said as she faded away one last verse before she completely faded out.
I will be with you.

With the others
Something was wrong. Layla flinched and cried out while unconscious and it sent panic fluttering through Levi's heart.
He had sent for Hanje and Erwin and had to prevent Eren from entering the room.
"She's normal. Everything is normal part from her heartbeat. It's a lot faster." Hanje replied.
"What can be done then Hanje?" Erwin asked. "Is there anyway to wake her?"
Hanje shook her head sadly. Then her eyes sparked, jokily. "Has anyone tried kissing sleeping beauty to wake her from her enchanted sleep?"
"Tch, don't be ridiculous shitty glasses." Levi retorted. "That's an ancient fairytale."
"Sometimes fairy tales have truth to them." Erwin agreed. "I think every one should try should they feel comfortable in doing so."
Levi just tssked.
Everyone was brought in, including Eren. He felt uncomfortable kissing his sister but did on her cheek.
No one succeeded. Jean felt dejected when his didn't work. But strives to be her best friend.
Armins also didn't work. Erens brotherly kiss also didn't. None of the females did either- which was to be expected.
Hanje's didn't work either and neither did Erwin-who was old enough to be her elder brother.
The only person who hadn't was Levi.
He was pressed to try but he always walked away.

He couldn't do it.
It's not that he was a coward, he just didn't believe it would solve anything they had to be in the present not stuck in some fairy tale.

Time flew by and the more Layla dreamt.
She couldn't find her way out.

Levi was beginning to grow agitated. Should he try? What could be the harm? It didn't have to be on her lips, it could be on her cheek!
What if she woke up? What did that mean?
He always talked himself out of it.
He would use it as a last resort.