Chapter 11- Anger and new trainees

I knew Eren was angry with me, I knew him well enough. However I would wait until we reached the Scouts base. Then I would explain, well as best as I could. If he would listen though would be another matter.
Captain Levi has stated that Eren would be on his team, I would be on Squad Leader Hanje's which at this moment I was grateful for, however would do us know good for what we had promised. But the way I looked at it, was that it would make his squad uneven if I joined his squad-his team, so I hadn't contested it.

When we arrived, I quickly dismounted, Eren soon followed suit as we led the horses to the stables.
"Well let it out." I said untying the bridle and saddle. Eren began yelling at me, once everything was put away I knocked him upside the head.
"Don't be an idiot! That was the only way we could get you! If we hadn't where do you think you would be right now?!" I knew my voice was getting louder but I didn't care- it began to crack as I continued, "dissected or killed Eren. Do you think I, or Armin or Mikasa would want to see that happen to you? Really?!" I stopped and turned away. "We saw Shinganshina fall. All of us. You all lost loved ones, I lost the only home I had ever known, but we had each other. You are like my brother Eren, I couldn't lose my brother- not like that."
I had to leave. So I did, leaving him there. It hurt to do but he had hurt me with his words. And I would never let him see me cry. He had no idea what I had lost. Where I had lost and why. He would never understand not right now. Not when he was on his own.

I reported to Squad Leader Hanje, who was an excitable woman, a little older than me, and had a keen and slightly worrying interest in the Titans. She told me she had acquired two Titans on her last mission and dragged me to meet them. When I saw them, at first they looked sad.
"Since you were able to gain Yeager back into control I thought we could try with these two." Hanje said excitedly. I shrugged, I would give it a shot.
"I wouldn't get too close though." Said another soldier on Hanje's squad. "They can still move a little." He added.
I shrugged again. I could move faster than them, and they were tied down.
I walked over to the one "named" Sawney, a tall blond haired Titan and got quite close. His eyes locked on me.
"Hey." I said softly. "Can you hear me? Listen, is it possible for you to make a noise that you understand me?" Just a gaze. And then a snap of teeth in my direction, slow but enough for me to move. "That wasn't very nice you know. I am trying to help you here." I looked him dead in the eyes. "Do you want to be tied up, no nourishment nothing?" Silence again. "Ok, maybe I'll try again another time."
A grunt came from him as I turned to go to "Bean." I twirled back, my cape swishing behind me.
"What was that?"
Grunt.
"So you want to communicate with me now?"
Grunt.
"Will you try to eat me if I get closer?"
Grunt.
"Fair enough. Thanks Sawney."
Grunt.

I turned and caught the delight in Hanje's eyes.
"So your not limited to Yeager. You can communicate with all Titans, even mindless." She screamed happily, and I fought the urge to cover my ears. "This is amazing! Bean next come on!"
I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, and moved to "Bean", a brown haired Titan smaller than "Sawney". His eyes were locked on me too. Like with the other I got close and moved when he went to grab me.
"Honestly, didn't you ever get taught any manners when you were a young Titan." I clicked my tongue. "No grabbing, I want to talk to you not have to stab you to release me from your mouth."
He stopped and looked at me again, this time dead in the eyes.
"Now that's better." I said sighing, my fight with Eren still lingered in my body. I could feel the shaking from tears unshed. "Now, like Sawney, can you make a noise to show you understand, I know you were listening."
Groan.
"Is that it?"
Groan again.
"I think we might need to start with names." I pointed to myself. "Layla. Lay-la, can you try?"
Groan.
"It's ok, try again." I cajoled.
"Ayya." Came from its mouth and I smiled. I was shocked but smiled encouragingly.
"Well done Bean."
"Eeeen."
"Yes that's right. Bean! Great Job!" I patted the arm that sat on the ground near me.
"Sawney, want to give it a go?" I asked, just as a soldier yelled.
"Move!"
I jumped to the side as Bean moved to try and eat me.
I turned. "Bean That was rude. And you had done so well too."
I turned back to Sawney.
"Layla." Pointing to myself. "Lay-la. Can you try?"
"Eeeeeery."
"Not quite Sawney, try again." I encouraged. I knew by the sounds of scribbling behind me Hanje was documenting everything.
"Eeeeyaaa." Came from Sawney's mouth.
"Very close. Well done Sawney."
I patted his foot. And added. "We will try again tomorrow."
It was weird turning my back on those two, what I didn't expect was a stunned "oooh!" From the soldiers in front. Stunned I turned around.
Both Titans were crying!
"Hey, I am coming back!" I said reassuringly, "you don't need to cry."
They carried on. I shook my head. "Don't be such big babies. I'll see you tomorrow, get some rest."
And walked away.

"Layla this is huge!" Hanje screamed as we walked inside for dinner. "You can communicate with all Titans. Think what this can do!"
I just shrugged. I was just talking to them, just like I had with Eren. Pain shot through my heart but I ignored it. Though unlike him I didn't know them well so I couldn't motivate them.
"You are literally the Titan Whisperer!"
At this I did roll my eyes. And then I noticed Eren, his eyes were on me as I walked in, I removed my eyes from his, saluted and grabbed my dinner, without saying a word.

"Titan Whisperer eh?" Came a voice from Levi's squad. I didn't like his voice already. "So some special trainees to join the Scouts now." Ok now I really didn't like this guy. I looked up from my food and saw him. Yeah, didn't like him. He was a copycat of the Captain.
"The names Oluo. And don't forget it rookies." He chuckled at himself.
"Don't pay him any mind." Came the person from beside Oluo. He smiled kindly at me. "He just likes to play act some of the time." Oluo of course started objecting to that. I'm Eld, second in command of the Special Operations Squad."
"Nice to meet you sir." I said. He just chuckled.
"No need for the sir stuff with me. I'm not like the Captain."
"Force of habit, plus I like to be respectful to those of a higher rank." I replied.
"She's sassy, I like her." Came Oluo's voice. He then groaned as the only woman on Levi's squad elbowed him in the gut.
"Oluo, shut up." She turned to me, "I'm Petra, nice to meet you." And smiled.
"Nice to meet you too." I smiled faintly back. I was exhausted, feeling the lack of sleep. At some point Hanje had wandered off, and I was kind of glad, she was peppering me with questions all through dinner.
I felt someone behind me, and I moved faster than a bullet up out of my chair.
Another member of the Levi squad was there, he had been sniffing me. "That's Gunther. Don't worry he is harmless." Petra added. "Gunther stop worrying the poor girl."
"Thanks but I'd had enough anyway." I took my plate and cup and wandered to the kitchen to wash it up. I refused to look at Eren. But as I left I heard.
"Ooo, iced out rookie." Form Oluo. Must have been towards Eren.