[ 4 ] things are changing

THINGS ARE CHANGING

ASPEN inhaled deeply before plopping her bag down on the bench and taking her seat next the buzzcut boy. He didn't flinch chaotically the way he usually would, he didn't flail his hands up in the air, he just lifted his neck to stare at the girl next to him.

"Are you okay?" he asked, knowing that blaming him for his social downfall was not a nice thing to do, nor did he mean it.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry." Aspen smiled, mesmerised in the hazel eyes in front of her.

"Sorry for being a dick earlier, I really didn't mean to be." he apologised, ripping his gaze from her to stare at his un-used lacrosse stick in his hands.

"All is forgiven, Stilinski." the brunette replied.

It was true, she did forgive him. Because it's not his fault that he doesn't know how deep his words can cut her sometimes, he doesn't know that his opinion is so valued to her, he doesn't know how she really feels about him. Of course, the words still hurt and remained playing on loop in the girl's mind, but she wasn't mad anymore. It was more of a dull ache in her heart.

The two best friends turned their attention back onto the lacrosse pitch where the third member of their little trio, Scott McCall, was coming face to face with Beacon Hills high's lacrosse captain, Jackson Whittemore.

Scott had been on outstanding performance so far, taking Stiles and Aspen both by surprise, but they were concerned now that he was up against Jackson.

"Oh crap..." Stiles muttered.

"Here we go..." Aspen followed.

To both of their surprises, when Jackson launched the lacrosse ball into the goal in which Scott was meant to block, Scott caught it. Aspen and Stiles turned to look at each other with shocked, over-joyed expressions as they jumped to their feet to applaud their best friend.

"Yes!" Aspen yelled. "That's my best friend!"

"Our  best friend!" Stiles corrected, taking Aspens hand in his and pulling them up above their heads in victory. Aspen swooned slightly at the feeling of her fingers intertwined with his. While he was focussed on the pitch, Aspen's neck turned to look up at the boy she was so desperately in love with. Anyone could tell by the way she looked at him that she thought the world of the boy. Except him.

...

Aspen was stood by her locker putting away some things when she was interrupted by the sudden slamming of her locker door, startling her, turning her head to see that it was just Stiles with a massive grin on his face.

"Someone's in a good mood." she chuckled as she looked at him.

"Scott just completely humiliated Jackson out there, why wouldn't I be in a good mood." the Stilinski boy replied, earning a subtle glare from Aspen. "I know you seem to suck his ass but the guy is a tool, alright?"

"Would you stop saying that?" she replied calmly. She was good friends with Jackson, and sure the guy had his faults, but Stiles barely knows him, not the way she does, so she always finds herself trying to defend the boy.

"What? You know I don't exactly approve of your friendship with him."

"Yeah, well I don't exactly approve of your crush on Lydia but at least I can keep my mouth shut about it." she argued, still keeping her cool.

"Except unlike you, I have a reason." Stiles taunted.

"I have mine too!"

"Okay let's take it in turns, I'll go first. Jackson is a douchebag, and a complete dick to everybody except you for some reason." said Stiles, moving his hands frantically as he ranted. Aspen leaned on her locker, arms folded, as she rolled her eyes. "Now you." Stiles added.

"Lydia's a bitch, that's it." she argued, still calm.

"Woah, Aspen, that is such a compelling argument."

"Fine." she snapped, beginning to get infuriated with how badly this conversation had taken its turn. "She always gives me death glares whenever she sees me which makes no sense considering I barely ever speak to her, and when I do speak to her she's always insulting me or trying to put me down."

"She doesn't do that." Stiles denied, shaking his head at the girl.

"Oh yeah? Just a couple moments ago she asked me if I was raised by wolves."

"She's probably just kidding-"

"Stiles, you may be in love with the girl, but you don't really know her! At least I actually know Jackson." the Carter girl snapped, turning on her heels to leave the building.

"Aspen!" Stiles shouted. "Aspen wait! Aspen!" he continued to yell, trying to catch up to the girl.

"Can't talk I'm already running late." she finally replied.

"Late for what? I was actually coming to tell you that we need to go back to the woods to find Scott's inhaler."

"Sounds fun but I have plans!"

"Plans? What plans?"

By this point, the two were in the school's parking lot, and they had finally come to a halt once Aspen had stopped strutting away. She turned to look up at him, then turned to look at one of the cars, then turning back at the boy in front of her. Seconds later, the figures of Jackson Whittemore and Danny Maehlani were approaching them, making Stiles' brows furrow as he looked between Aspen and the pair.

"Stiles, meet plans. Plans, meet Stiles." she said sarcastically. The Stilinski boy exchanged glares with the Whittemore, before throwing Danny an awkward smile.

"Danny. Jackson." he said, his lips forming a straight line. "Do you mind if I talk to Aspen for a second?"

"I'll catch up with you in a sec." said the brunette, the two boys removing themselves from the conversation. Stiles looked back at the girl in front of him, giving her a glare.

"You'd seriously rather hang out with Jackson than Scott and I?"

"It's not like that, Stiles." she said calmly, trying to give the boy a smile.

"Oh really?"

"Stiles, you and Scott are my best friends, okay? But in case you forgot, I spent the entire summer in Europe, and contrary to your judgement, I do have other friends, friends that I haven't seen in two months." she explained.

Stiles let out a sigh, fed up of being annoyed with his best friend, it was the first day of sophomore year and they had already had three separate arguments. They never used to fall out, not before she went away for the summer.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry we've been arguing so much today I don't really know what's going on, it's not like us." he said sincerely, giving Aspen a smile.

"I know, I'm sorry too." said the brunette smiling up at him.

"Have fun tonight." said Stiles. "But not too much fun, not without me."

Aspen smiled back at him, chuckling slightly at his last words.

"I wouldn't dream of it." she smiled, before turning around to find Jackson's car.

...

A/N

Sorry this chapter's a short one!

This is the first fic I've written where it follows the teen wolf plot line and oh my god the respect I have for authors that are able to do it so well! I'm 4 chapters in and haven't finished the pilot.

again, disclaimer, I know Lydia is written like a total bitch and I just need to re-confirm that I actually love Lydia, but again it fits with this story better if she's written this way.