[ 35 ] in this moment

IN THIS MOMENT

"I can't believe you talked me into this!" Aspen whisper-yelled to her two best friends as the trio ducked behind a gravestone and spied on the Argent funeral.

Aspen obviously wanted to be there for Allison, the girl was nearly a sister to her after such short time of knowing one another, but this wasn't exactly the comfort she was planning on. Spying from a couple yards away, hiding behind a gravestone.

"Did you have anything better to do?" Stiles asks her, without his usual snarkiness. Aspen reluctantly shook her head in defeat.

"Who the hell is the old guy?" Aspen changed the subject, pointing to an unfamiliar man in the distance. "He looks like someone shat in his cereal or something."

"Something tells me she forgot this is a funeral." Scott scoffs to Stiles, talking as if she wasn't sandwiched between them on the ground.

"I'm gonna place my bets and say he's definitely an Argent." Stiles spoke, "which I'm guessing is why he looks like someone "shat in his cereal", as Aspen put it so delicately."

The conversation between the three teenagers abruptly paused as they all focused their attention on the scene in front of them. Allison and her family were seated, and the cemetery was surrounded in photographers and the press.

Aspen felt guilt and sympathy for Allison, it's not easy losing a family member (even if Kate was a psychotic arsonist), let alone having it all over the newspapers for the entire town to see.

"Do I have to be hiding back here with you?" Aspen whispers, making both of the boys' brows furrow in confusion.

"I just mean," she explains, "I wanna... hug her, or something, you know?"

As much as Stiles had really been trying to play it cool around her recently, and push all of his feelings to the back of his mind, when she would say stuff like that his heart just swelled slightly. Aspen was so kind-hearted, she was so pure, she always wanted to make the people around her feel better. She had been doing that for Stiles their entire lives.

He cursed himself for not noticing her sooner.

"She has a point, Scott." Stiles says in response. "I mean, you cannot be seen because her father would like to see you dead, but she's in the clear, right?"

"Will you ever stop being so blunt?" Scott rolled his eyes at how casually he mentioned Chris Argent's hatred.

"No, it saves time." he replied, bluntly.

"I'm going over there." Aspen announced, fanning a loose lilac strand of hair out of her face as she patted out her dress to stand up.

She made sure no one was looking in her direction as she got up, and when she concluded the coast was clear, she got up from behind the gravestone to approach the Argent funeral.

She didn't think much through, like what she was going to say to Allison's mother or father, but she just needed to comfort the girl who was practically her sister.

She remembered what it was like to loose Ace, and she was lucky enough to have two best friends by her side that got her through it. Sure, the older Carter wasn't a convicted arsonist, but Aspen knew Allison was still close with her aunt before shit hit the fan for her family.

Eyes were on her in no time as she approached the scene, most of which were looking at her dumbfounded. Chris and Victoria Argent were initially confused at why the purple-haired girl had made an appearance, before remembering how close she was with their daughter.