[ 39 ] existing insecurities

EXISTING INSECURITIES

"I ALREADY TOLD YOU, Scott, I don't know how I felt it, I just did!" Aspen grew aggravated with all the questions, she already had enough of her own swimming in her own mind.

"That doesn't make sense though." Scott shook his head in disbelief. "I could probably chalk mine up to the whole werewolf thing, but you? I mean how does that eve-"

"Scott!" The Carter girl snapped, cutting him off. She understood he was mind-boggled, they all were, but he was acting as if Aspen had the answers.

"Sorry." Scott sighed, running a hand through his dark brown mop of hair in defeat.

"Let's just drop it." said Aspen, not wanting to add to everyone's problems with her new mess she'd gotten herself into. "Have you seen Jackson?"

The McCall boy's eyes widened ever so slightly at the Whittemore boy's name.

"No. Why?"

"I need to talk to him." Aspen answered vaguely, and Scott, being the nosey guy he is, had to press further.

"About....?"

Aspen crossed her flannel-clad arms over her chest as she raised her brows at her best friend, giving him a 'really?' look.

"What? You and Stiles have been keeping me out of the loop these days!"

"What loop?"

"You know exactly what loop I'm talking about, Asp." Scott starts to put on his puppy-dog eyes. "You used to tell me everything, what happened?"

Aspen sighed heavily. She had figured whatever was going on with her and Stiles' situation, that Stiles had told him. But it seems the both of them were staying quiet, probably because neither one of them had an explanation.

But Scott was right. Aspen always used to tell Scott everything. He would listen to her vents about how blind Stiles was, as Scott would agree and comfort her.

He didn't exactly take a side, because there was no fight. But for all the years Aspen's love when unreciprocated, Scott really felt for her, and he was the one to be there for her. Before Jackson, before Allison, it was him.

"The reason I haven't spoken to you much about it recently is because I have no idea what it is." Aspen admitted to Scott. "That, and I may have made some serious mistakes recently that I'm not proud of."

"What do you mean?"

"For starters, I'm basically the reason Jackson and Lydia broke up. I get they were toxic, but it doesn't feel great to be a home wrecker."

"Not to one-up you or anything, but I'm pretty sure I was the reason for that." Scott chuckled lightly, remembering that time in Coaches office when he had his tongue down Lydia's throat.

Definitely not his finest moment.

"You were the tipping point." Aspen corrected.

"Okay..." Scott sighed again, clutching a folder to his chest as the pair walked through the halls of the school. "Is that it? Is that the serious mistake you're not proud of? Coming in between Lydia and Jackson?"

Aspen pursed her lips together awkwardly, knowing she was now going to have to confide in Scott about everything to do with her and Jackson.

"No." said the purple-haired girl. "I've sort of... done stuff... with Jackson, in attempt to get myself over Stiles."

Scott let out a breath as he blinked in slight shock. He always suspected there was something flirtatious between the Carter girl and the Whittemore boy, after all, he had heard some interesting conversations in Harris' class, but he never thought they would do anything.