one • the arrival

•••"Certainly the most beautiful duo of daughters this town has ever seen"•••

•••
"Certainly the most beautiful duo of daughters this town has ever seen"
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

"Child, all I am asking for is the foolishness to come to a halt upon arrival at the estate." Ginevra begged her youngest child, receiving a huff as a lonesome response. "My dear, immaturity will not grant you a husband." Nola pouted, "and neither will those lips of yours."

"I don't know, Mama. Looks quite attractive to me." Sloan joked, playfully poking her younger sisters side. Nola let out a call of distress, spooking her maid, and annoying her mother even more.

"Now, now, my dear. Let's not taunt the child." Oliver sighed, leaning his head back against the rest. "She's simply aching for the opportunity to meet her future suitors." Sloan couldn't help but laugh at her husbands remark. "Is something funny?"

"Nothing other than I hardly recall my days of being courted as anything, but traumatic?" Sloan responded, her arms crossing over her chest. "That is, until I met this geezer right here."

Nola knew she should smile, and gawk at her sisters perfect match, but she could not. How could she applaud their love, when she was aching for her own. "Will Simon even be on time to the estate, mother?" Sloan looked displeased at the change in conversation. Her sister never being eager to stray from the topic of marriage- maybe fear had finally struck into her bones.

"Who knows, my love? You know Simon, and his inability to be on time to things. Poor boy managed to be late to his own birth." Releasing a frown, Lady Addington flipped through the pages of her book without a second thought, not wanting to get her mind stuck once again on the death of her beloved sister in law.

"I'm just eager to head in town, Mama. I want to explore the area I'll be spending the rest of my life in."

"No need, sister. Who knows where you should end up. A prince might appear to lead you back to Spain, or even Prussia." Sloan laughed, receiving a nasty look from her husband.

"Do not laugh at her ambition, my love. I will take you to wander as soon as we greet our cousin from his escapade." Oliver assured, catching glimpse of the Hastings estate. Nola's brother in law has always been quite protective over her; the child with the horrific childhood. The beauty, harassed since the mere age of eleven, feared men, yet Oliver was never one to be weary of- making his intentions quite clear upon first meetings.

The carriage came to an unexpected stop, signifying their arrival to their late uncles property. "Tell me again why I must be presented by Simon over Oliver, Mother? Oliver is technically the head of our household."

"Your cousin, Simon, holds a higher rank than I, my dear. To arrive on the arm of a Duke will bring much more attention, and more respect than on my arm." Oliver clarified, seeming to be astonished that she even asked.

The door opened, and with the assistance of the coachman, they were able to exit the enclosing space. "Ah, why if it isn't the lovely Addington's." Miss Danbury proclaimed, speeding to greet up, "and the newlyweds, congratulations, my dear." She addressed to Sloan. "Why, Ginevra. You certainly raised some gems." She drew her attention to me. "Dear child, step closer so I can have a better look at your face." Nola hesitantly moved forward, with the encouragement of her sister. "Beautiful facial structure, delicate caramel complexion... not even to mention the perfect lips and chocolate brown eyes... you will have a hard time keeping the suitors away, I do believe." She said with certainty.

"I do hope my dear baby cousin will not make my job too difficult." Simon, appearing unexpectedly, stated, rushing to pull his little cousin into a hug, pulling her slightly above the ground. "Why... look at you. Quite stunning, Nola." Being years since the Basset's have seen the Addington's, Ginevra moved to her nephew, embracing him.

"My boy, you've grown to be quite a looker..."

"Ah, yes. You are all beautiful, beautiful people. Now, follow me." Miss Danbury stated, leering the group towards the estate. "You must excuse the, uh, disorderliness. As you know, I'm to host a ball this evening."

"Yes." Simon responded, looking very... underwhelmed.

"I have managed to keep the details of your return quiet," She continued. "But when those vulgar mamas discover that there is an eligible duke present at tonight's fete, I shall be able to keep such a secret no longer." A laugh escaped Nola's lips.

"Looks like I will not be the only one hearing wedding bells in my distant future, cousin." Nola chuckled, racing to latch onto her cousins arm.

"That is what I was hoping to discuss. I have only returned to London to deal with my late fathers affairs." Ah, yes. The late duke of Hastings... the biggest bastard of his time. "I'm afraid it leaves me no time to socialize." Nola gave him her biggest pout. "Only to speak for my dear baby cousin. And so, whilst I appreciate your most gracious invitation, Lady Danbury. I must ask you to accept my regrets."
Now, Simon. Did you really think that to possibly work?

"Your regrets... are denied." Nola let out a chime of giggles, receiving a look of disapproval from her cousin and mother.

"I suppose a brief appearance,"

"Excellent! You must leave that flask you carry at home... most undignified." She explained, Simon jokingly handed it to Nola, receiving a group of "no's" from his aunt.

"Must you defile her, nephew. She is merely nineteen years old."

"Just a joke, Aunt Ginevra. Now, a moment alone with my young cousin, if you all would." The rest of the Addington- Harrison family stalked off in the direction of Lady Danbury, as Simon lead Nola to sit on the water fountain. "My dear, before we discuss... I must have your word that you have consented to be courted."

"I have, Simon. What else am I to be?" He released a sigh, and grabbed her gloved hands in his own. "Without a husband, I am nothing, cousin."

"Very well, my dear. I just needed to hear it for myself, and I guarantee you, no offer than the very best will pass me." He gave her a small smile, as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I must do it right, Nola. I will not send you to a life of disappointment. Do you hear me?" She gave him a gentle nod. "Very well, now you must get ready. The queen waits for no one."