eighteen • what a life

•••

•••

"What a delicate soul..."

•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Although gossip still surrounds the hasty marriage of Lord and Lady Bridgerton (formerly Miss Nola Addington, for those of you who have been in hibernation for these past few weeks), The Author is of the firm opinion that theirs was a love match. Viscount Bridgerton does not escort his wife to every society function (but then again, what husband does?) but when she is present, The Author cannot fail to note that he always seems to be murmuring something in the lady's ear, and that something always seems to make her smile and blush.

Furthermore, he always dances with her one more time than is considered de rigueur. Considering how many husbands don't like to dance with their wives at all, this is romantic stuff, indeed.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers

•••

After their lengthened honeymoon, expanding from their planned two weeks, to six, the pair returned to the Bridgerton House. Going from days spent only with each other, to days being bombarded by their entire household.

Nola quickly understood what it was to be a Viscountess. Her days now being filled with shopping escapades with Violet, social calls, and occasional rides in Hyde Park. Evenings were filled the same way they have been spent the last two months, or so... attending great balls and parties.

Unfortunately, while their relationship became stronger, Daphne and the Duke still refused to communicate. Much to Nola's dismay. "It's been two months, Daphne. The season is merely over!" The girl sighed, sitting on the bed next to her sister-in-law. "You must talk to him..."

Daphne quickly disagreed, stating, "he made his feelings of me very clear, sister. He does not see me as a lover. How could he when he denies even our friendship? Besides, I- I have the prince..." Daphne gulped, moving to her vanity, hoping the conversation would end.

Nola followed the girl, "Daphne... surely you are not willing to give up this easily?"

"What else am I to do? He never comes around... yet, when he does I am only brushed off. Why must he treat me like I am merely a spirit?" Nola embraced the girl, feeling her body shake with what she assumed to be caused by her tears. Nola felt awful for bringing the topic up in the first place, but she knew what love was when she saw it.

"Would you like to go downstairs, love?" Nola asked her, standing from her position of the floor next to Daphne. "Or would you like to be alone?"

Daphne pondered for a moment before deciding that being with her family was probably a healthy decision for her right now, which pleased Nola very much. Making their way down the steps, the ladies passed the Viscount himself, who merely waved at the young ladies before disappearing into his bedroom.

Nola's face dropped, freezing on the steps, watching him disappear into the room. She knew that once they were married, he would not have as much time to spend with her, allowing that all his time could now be devoted to his familial duties. Of course, she understood. His concerns in Parliament and on his estates took up a great deal of his time. She could not show sorrow, for there was no reason to be sorrowful. At least... that's what she told herself.

"Nola?" Daphne asked, seeing her paused, noticing she had now followed her down the rest of the steps. "Is everything alright?"

"Oh, yes..." Nola smiled, racing down the rest of the steps, before leading Daphne into the sitting room, where the suitors of the day were to arrive any moment.

Anthony strolled in whenever it felt beneficial for him, instantly catching his wife sitting with Eloise the at piano. "You're telling me that you think that-" Eloise did not allow her to finish, seeing Anthony's gaze was upon them. "My lord..." Nola smiled.

"Must we with the formalities, my dear? You can just call me by my name..." he chuckled, sitting on the chair next to Benedict, who seemed to be dozing off.

"My apologies, Anthony." He didn't know how she managed to make something seductive without even trying, and frankly, he did not mind. Releasing a hiss, he heard his mother enter the room.

Since Nola's birthday- turning twenty- she seemed to have lost her childish aura, which saddened Gregory and Hyacinth, who enjoyed that about her the very most. Nola was mature, both in mind and body, and frankly, Anthony could not contain himself.

"Girls, the dresses have arrived." Violet informed, heavy footsteps echoed in the direction of the hallway, leaving Nola, Benedict and Colin within the sun room.

"Shall you not go to see the dresses, my love?" Anthony questioned, seeing Nola's fingers slide along the piano keys, but never press into them. He could sense her mind was elsewhere, as he called for her name again.

Her attention drifted back to her husband, who looked to her through narrow eyes. The wandering mind is a dangerous thing, especially for Nola, who seemed visibly distraught. "I simply need a breath of fresh air..." she stood from the bench, opening the door, "I shall be back."

"Would you like me to come with you?"

"No, dear. I think I shall be quite alright alone." She sighed, racing out to the backyard.

"Are you really gonna let her go alone?" Benedict chuckled, seeing Anthony's eyes still locked in the doorway, where Nola previously stood. Without a verbal response, Anthony took off in the direction of his wife. "Guess not..." the second oldest brother chuckled.

•••

"Nola? Nola!" Anthony shouted, finally catching up the girl, spinning her to face him. Her eyes bloodshot, and her face wet from tears. "Are you alright? Has something happened."

Nola quickly shook her head, grabbing his hands to ease him. "No, Anthony. Everything is quite alright!" She put on a fake smile.

"Don't lie to me..." he sighed. "Nola, please-"

"Can you trust me? I'm fine, Anthony. It's all okay..." she sighed, brushing her lips against his cheek. Not accepting that, he locked their lips together, holding her as close to him as possible. "I'm okay..."