fourteen • i can hear the bells

••• "Make of our lives, one life

•••
"Make of our lives, one life."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Shortly after arriving home the previous night, Violet quickly scolded Anthony. Reminding him it was bad luck to see his bride the night before the wedding. With an embrace to bud farewell, Nola made her way up to the chambers she was currently sharing with Daphne, shaking with anticipation.

•••

"Nola! Wake up!" Daphne exclaimed, jumping on her soon to be sister-in-law. "It's time to get ready!" Nola groaned, pushing Daphne away. Not quite ready to face the day. "You're getting married today! You must wake up!"

Nola quickly rose up, a smile growing on her face, as her and Daphne squealed, loudly. Nola quickly jumped up, grabbing her robe off the desk chair. "Is Anthony around?"

"Little bride... even if he was, you could not pay a visit. He left early for the gentleman's club with Simon, and Oliver. Then he will return to the estate." Daphne informed, grabbing Nola's arm. "As for us? We eat and get pampered!"

•••

Across town, Anthony sat with Simon. Drinking away, of coursing minding that Anthony was to be married in a matter of hours, "So... today is the day?" Simon muttered, looking at his friend, "the day the rest of your life begins?" He chuckled, sarcastically.

"A wonderful day, indeed," Oliver smiled at the Viscount. "Miss Addington will be the most perfect wife to you."

"I have no doubt of that, gentlemen. Cheers!" Anthony smiled, leaning back into the chair, thinking of the remainder of the day. He had truly found a woman to love, and who gave him the same affection in return, which he never expected to occur.

Anthony never believed he was to marry, or at least, not willingly. He never dreamed of sharing that connection for someone. He had never ached for much for the affection of someone else. Nola was truly something special.

Simon stood from his spot, putting on his jacket. "Now, if you excuse me. I must go assure that all plans are under way." Before walking out with Oliver, Simon handed Anthony a small letter, addressed to him. With a look of confusion, he quickly ripped the stamp off.

To my dearest, Anthony,

Today is the beginning of the rest of our lives. While this last week has been no where near perfect, I can not find myself anymore prepared then to become your wife. Our first day, we were exchanging "I love you's", and while I must admit... I truly didn't know if that was the emotion I felt. It is not until now that I recognize what that emotion was. I have learned to love, Anthony Bridgerton, and is all because of you that I have done so. I hope to never hear of complaints between the love we share, for this, to me, is heaven. I long to put your fear of dying to rest. For now I truly know, I could not bear to ever live without you. I love you.

                               Yours,
                                                             Nola
•••

"My dear, you look stunning!" Violet exclaimed, pulling the girls hair from in front of her shoulders. "A most lovely bride, certainly!" Nola took a look at herself in the mirror, a small smile grew on her face, as Marie began to apply a raspberry colored rouge to her cheeks.

"Sister, these just arrived for you." Sloan smiled, walking over to her, a vase of blue roses- obviously dyed. "They're quite lovely, are they not?"

"They're beautiful..." Nola began, finding a small envelope barrier within the stems.

For my Sapphire,

Until I met you, I did not know how to express the love I felt for someone. In fact, I still am learning how to show my emotions. It has also been easy to converse with you, my love. I anxiously await seeing you walk down the aisle, to me. Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. Its about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known. That is how I know my feelings for you go beyond just a fondness, even with your reasonable doubt. I never doubted my love and devotion to you. It was unexpected, and certainly not a bad surprise. For, the unexpected moment is always sweeter. I anxiously await my future with you at my side...

Love,
Your Anthony

The girl felt her heart in her throat, feeling as though she were to release the floods her eyes were holding back any minute. "Oh, dear. What is it?" Sloan sighed, rubbing her sisters shoulders.

"The most beautiful note..." she cried, the women around her quickly beginning to fan her face, worrisome about the possibility of having to restart the entire process. She deeply hoped Anthony had received her note from Simon, and wondered if he was expressing the same emotions as she was.

Violet released a sigh of release, holding her hand over her heart. "Great news..." she smiled, wondering what her son had possibly written that would evoke such emotion, but she knew he could've written anything. She had been in love at once, too, and knew it required the littlest effort to be awarded with what Nola was emoting.

Ginevra entered the room, seemingly prepared already for the reception to begin.

"Mother..." Nola bowed her head, dabbing the newly wet spots of her face. Nola would lie if she said she hadn't had a more difficult upbringing with her mother. Truly no where near as hard as Simon had it, but her mother was raised with the same values as the late Duke. She could be the coldest of women.

In her mother's hands, she saw the dress. It was a beautiful thing- really. It looked as if any other in her possession, with a lengthened train, and the purest white, which she would never seek, if it weren't quite the occasion. Violet pointed out how there were blue gems on the sleeves, and had the idea that the roses would looked stunning in Nola's hair.

Once her dress was on, and Marie fixed her hair, she allowed Violet to place the flowers within the ribbon that held her two front strands together. Nola always had her hair down, preferably. "You, my dear, are simply the most beautiful bride I have ever seen." Violet gasped, holding back tears. Where as, Nola's mother looked far from pleased.

What was to happen, would happen. Nola loved the Viscount and nothing would stop her from marrying him.