thirty-two • that would be enough

•••"look around, look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now

•••
"look around, look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now."
•••

Grosvenor Square, March 6, 1814
9 months

Sitting across from Anthony at dinner, Nola seemed to develop the most unusual appetite. Her usual plate of mixed vegetables, picked by Marie, and fish, was replaced with red velvet cake and hot chocolate.

Anthony watched amused as she dug into the dessert, having not seen her eat this much since they had become engaged, and he grew a smile, trying to pull his gaze away, not wanting to make her uncomfortable to continue munching in front of him.

He ate his Italian Wedding soup as her face contorted in, what's seems to look like, agony. "Nola...?" Anthony questioned, looking to his wife with concern etched in his eyes.

"I'm alright..." she began, breathing in abruptly, and attempting to stand up, but collapsing to her knees. Anthony rose to his feet, running to pull her off the floor.

"Marie!" He called out, anxious for the arrival of his wife's right hand woman, who came as quickly as she could, "please notify our midwife, I think Nola may be having the baby." Marie quickly nodded, rushing off to head into town to fetch Lady Bridgerton's long time healthcare provider-  Gloria Steinman, who had delivered all eight Bridgerton babies.

After getting her to lie down, Anthony began to call for Titus, begging him to rush to his mother's estate, and notify them on Nola's condition- hoping his mother would arrive as fast as possible. 

Before making it back up the stairs, he heard Nola call out his name. "Anthony!" He ran as fast as he could up the remaining steps, "what has happened?" She was covered in what appeared to be water, but he knew what it was,

"It felt like a pop, and I was suddenly covered in it..." he quickly nodded, "could I please change, Anthony?" He rushed to the closet, pulling out her red night robe, and rushed back to undo the lacing on her gown.

Handing her the robe, he stripped the bed of the wet substance, laying out quilts that sat on the floor. He led her back to the mattress, helping her adjust. He knew it would be awhile till the people he hoped to show walked through the door.

In the meantime, all he could do was ease his wife's nerves.

He practiced breathing exercises with her, before ultimately deciding to have her lean forward, so he could lie behind her near the pillows, allowing her to rest into his chest, and be able to feel his breathing.

•••

Within the hour, Marie rushed the door with the midwife that had delivered Anthony, "hello, my dear!" Gloria exclaimed, extending her hand to his wife, "my name is Gloria, and I will be the one bringing your little babes into the world!" She was very perky.

Anthony prayed his mom would arrive as Gloria began her examination on Nola's uterus, "she is definitely crowning... it's fair to say the birthing process has begun!" Nola's eyes widened as she turned to Anthony.

A smile rest on her husbands lips, rubbing up and down her shoulders, "only a few till we get to hold our child, my love." Nola began to panic, he chest rapidly rising up and down.

"Dear!" Violet exclaimed, bursting through the door and rushing to Nola's bedside, Daphne on her trail.

They all seemed to become more interested in a reunion with Gloria than the fact that Nola's had let out a deep groan of pain, throwing her head back onto Anthony's shoulder, "it will be alright, darling..." he sighed, pecking her forehead, and placing his hand on her bump.

•••

Within hours, Nola had begun to lean up, being screamed at to push as she screamed through the pain, using all her energy to contract her lower region. Violet held her hand, and Daphne her other. Anthony remained sat behind her, holding her back against his chest so she wasn't straining to keep herself up,

"We have the head, Lady Bridgerton! One more push on three!" Gloria cheered, "one!"

Nola grunted through clenched teeth, digging her forehead into Anthony's neck, and his grip tightening on her waist, "you got this, Nola..." Anthony attempted to motivate her,

"Two!" Tears streamed down Nola's face- she was beginning to feel overwhelmed with all the pushing,

"Three!" With one final push, Nola heard the soft cries of her child, and released a sigh of relief, letting her body fall back into Anthony's chest, looking up to peer at her husband, tears were streaming down his face.

"Congrats... it's a girl!" Anthony's eyes widened as his tears fell at a faster speed.

"A daughter..." he stated to himself. "I have a daughter!" He yelled, pressing his lips to Nola's.

Their child was quickly washed up, and wrapped in a towel. Nola held their daughter, and Anthony looked upon her face for the first time, and he vowed to never let her become victim to anyone else. She was now his priority, his child, his everything, and the woman in his arms held the same priority.

"What will her name be?" Violet asked, standing next to Daphne to gawk at her newborn granddaughters lovely face.

Nola looked to Anthony for confirmation, a confident look on his face for their ultimate decision. "We chose the name Alverie Zenia-Violet Bridgerton..." tears began to form in her mother-in-laws eyes. "We wanted to follow the alphabet, such as you had, mother..." she continued.

Alverie, oh boy, will you be loved.