nine • a new situation

•••"I don't need a legacy

•••
"I don't need a legacy."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

The day began like every other, the booming voice of the Duke arguing with Miss Danbury waking Nola up from the most peaceful sleep. Her hair scattered all around her pillows, and a puddle of drool, much to her disgust. A yawn escaped her lips as she leaned up on the bed, the beaming light from the sun shined on her face, motivating her to begin her day. "Cousin?" She heard, as her door squeaked open.

"Good morning, Simon." She gave him a slight nod, still ignoring his piercing gaze. "Are you to join me and meet the Bridgerton's in the square today?"

Simon gave a meek nod, letting his eyes drop to the floor. "Nola. May we have a word?"

"What do you call what we are doing now?" She questioned, her eyes narrowing at the tall man. "I merely believed we were already enveloped in conversation."

"Yes, but about what happened yesterday..."

"Simon, I have accepted the Viscount's proposal, and plan to follow through with this promise. You can tell whoever this other man is that it's done." She stated, taking the dress from Marie when she walked through her door.

"Do not address me that way, Nola. And for god sake, can you stop assuming things before I say them?" Simon growled, pulling her arm to force her to look at him. "I have you in the exact position I wanted you, cousin. Engaged to a Bridgerton. This was meant to happen."

"What?" Nola whispered, a frown appearing on her face. "What do you mean 'exactly where you wanted me', Simon?"

"This was discussed. I approached Anthony for you, Nola. He is a man of many honors. A title, a large family. Nola. It's everything you've wanted." Simon smiled, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You... you made him propose?"

"Nola, you just met the man. Surely, you knew that's what happened." Suddenly feeling choked up on her own breathe, Nola fell onto her end chair. Looking at everything, but Simon. "Cousin?"

"He... he said he loved me? He told me... he told me." She released a small whimper. Glaring up to Simon. "How dare you."

"Nola, I thought you would be happy." Simon stated, a pained look on his face as he tried to tend to his cousin.

"Away, Simon! Please. Just go away."

Nola sat in pain, wondering if all Anthony had convinced her had been a lie. Surely if he had to propose, he would've stated it as it was? Telling her Simon had begged him to do so. He was surely acting as a charity. Taking her for his own benefit, not a care for hers. Tears fell down her face as Simon looked to her with pity, angry at himself for managing to hurt her again. "Nola..."

"Go!" She screamed, pointing to the door way where Sloan stood in horror." Get out, Simon." She knew it was foolish to be in pain over someone she had just met, and she knew it was even more foolish to have believed him when he said he loved her. She was nothing more than a child, falling for the quick words of a handsome, older man.

Sloan ran to her sister, nodding at the door, signifying she agrees that Simon should leave. "Sister... Nola. Please look to me." Sloan begged, eagerly trying to wipe off Nola's face. "Nola, dear."

"No, Sloan. I simply can not take this." She cried, covering her face with her hands. "We're not even married, and I already feel deceived." Sloan wrapped her in her arms.

"Nola, I'm here to support you. You know I am, but I must say; you don't know how the viscount truly feels. Love is a large word, it took me months to even consider it. I am not saying he isn't in love, but I don't think you two are quite there yet. But... he does show you a great deal of affection, my dear. Love will come with time, I am so in love with Oliver, and when you come to be with child, it just becomes a whole new level." Sloan smiled, running her fingers through the girls locks.

"Sloan... how does it happen?" Sloans eyes widened, and she gulped quite loudly "how did you come to be with child if you were not in love?"

"I must not speak of it, Nola." Sloan sighed,

"Please, Sloan. Don't I have the right to know? I shall be the one carrying the child?"

"It is more complicated than that, sister. The viscount will tell you all about it... on the night of your wedding. He will show you, my love, but it is not my business to tell." Sloan stated, receiving a frown from her young sister. "Oh, come on, Nola. You must not be like this. It is unladylike. Now put on that beautiful dress! We must go meet the Bridgerton's at the park." Sloan smiled, calling Marie back to assist Nola with her corset.
•••

Anthony anxiously waited for his girls appearance. Waiting with Violet, who ached to finally discuss familiar ideas with the girl. "Please, Mother. You must not scare her before she even gets down the aisle."

"Not my intention, Anthony." Violet sighed, rolling her eyes at her eldest son. "Besides... I like this girl. I deeply approve of this match, my boy. I know your father would agree." Anthony's eyes lowered, finally seeing Nola appear, her light blue dress catching him off guard. She was truly a sight to behold. A smile grew on his face, addressing Simon, who's arm she was attached to.

"My dear..." Anthony smiled, bringing Nola's hand to his lips. "You look... magnificent."

Despite the talk Nola shared with Sloan, she still felt... disappointed. The usual glimmer of loveliness no longer present in her tone. "As do you, my lord." Yet, her eyes did not meet him. He instantly knew something was off. "Nola...?" Violet sensed the discomfort, and grabbed the girls arm.

"Come, my dear... we have much to discuss."

Anthony quickly looked to Simon, who had a look of guilt etched on his face. "What did you say to her?" He growled.

"The truth, Anthony. That this was arranged. It angered her, she feels lied to." Anthony ran his hand through his hair, as Daphne quickly made her way to Simon, interrupting the conversation, apologetically. The pair walked away as Anthony quickly went to join his mother and fiancée.

"Oh, many children, dear. Anthony's always dreamed of a large family, and he's been quite the figure for young Gregory and Hyacinth. He will make the perfect father to your children one day." Nola looked down to her hands, recognizing Anthony's presence once he sat next to her on the grass, placing his hand on her waist, pulling her closer to him. She shifted uncomfortably, clearing her throat. "That is, if you wish to have that same lifestyle?"

"Oh, yes. Lady Bridgerton. I've dreamed of a large family, and I hope to fulfill Anthony's dream of being a father." Anthony looked to her in adoration. "It seems like such a scary thing, Lady Bridgerton."

Violet gave her a reassuring smile, "it can be, my dear, but seeing your husband with your child for the first time..." Violet looked away, imagining Edmund holding Anthony for the first time, "makes it all worth it."

For the first time that day, Nola met Anthony's gaze. Leaning her head back on his shoulder, feeling his lips meet her forehead. "I will give you the most beautiful family, Anthony. I promise."

"I know, my dear. With you as my wife... I know our children will be perfect." Violet smiled, seeing the reconciliation. Proud that Anthony's priorities have changed.