twelve • the act of honesty

•••"Sometimes the heart needs time to accept what the mind already knows

•••
"Sometimes the heart needs time to accept what the mind already knows."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Stepping out of this coach, Nola grasped Anthony's hand for support. He gave her a small smile, but she quickly turned away, not feeling prepared to gaze upon him. "This estate is sure lovely, isn't it, dear?" She only nodded her head in response, grasping his arm. He let out a short sigh, looking to Simon, but he had already disappeared.

As soon as she stepped inside, all eyes turned to pair, and the small talk began. Random people walking up to them and giving them a short "congratulations" before walking away, and returning to their previous affairs. Once the deed was done, Nola wandered off with Benedict. Eager to view the gallery with him. Catching glimpse of Simon and Daphne walking away... no chaperone in sight. She nearly shrugged, rushing to catch up with the second Bridgerton boy, but was cut off by Colin. "Nola... hi."

"Hello, Colin! How are you this evening?" She responded, seeing Benedict glaring straight into the back of Colin's head.

"I am well, and I needed to come over to extend my apologies for my brothers behavior..."

Benedict quickly halted the conversation, "Colin that will be enough!" He whispered,

"It's certainly alright, Benedict. He must not be scolded." She sent a smile Colin's way, "I appreciate it, Colin." Taking her hand, he pressed a light kiss to her knuckles. Anthony watched from afar, and Violet swore she could see smoke coming from his ears.

"That little... twit!" Violet smacked his arm.

"Watch you tone, Anthony. He is still your brother." Releasing a huff, Anthony stormed out of the room. Angry at his brother.

Benedict's eyes wandered, hoping to spot his eldest sibling, but only catching him walk out the door, he sighed as he continued his path to the gallery, Nola close at hand.
•••

Outside of the estate, Anthony paced the gravel. Grunting and kicking loose stones. "You're surely acting like a child, brother."

"And you are acting like a common git, you know that? Colin. How dare you attempt anything on her!" He snapped, running his hand through his hair.

"How dare I? Brother, you have the most honorable woman in there, yet you are still tending to an opera singer? I am none to judge occupation,"

Anthony pushed him against the archway, "do not speak of things you do not know of, boy. My business with Nola, or even Sienna,"

Colin cut him off, "oh, Sienna is it?"

"Colin, I highly recommend watching your tone. I am in no mood to be messed with tonight. I do not know what fantasy you have been concocting in the infantile brain of yours, but Nola is mine. She will be my bride, she will have my children. I am in no way going to let you, my brother, take her from me. I will do anything for you, Colin, but when it gets to a sneaky trick, like the one you just pulled, I can not simply let that go. Do you understand?" Colin merely nodded, pushing his brother off of him.

"The only thing I'm going to say, Anthony, is: you've messed up twice. I would be more careful with the steps you take before you do it again." Colin quickly fixed his jacket before walking back into the party.

•••

It seems, dear reader, there is already trouble in paradise between the Viscount and the future Viscountess, but I'm afraid the trouble begins at home? Outsiders caught a rough rumble, and screaming match between Lord Anthony Bridgerton, and the young Colin Bridgerton? We can only begin to imagine what may be happening behind closed doors.

•••

Nola held her head in her hands as Violet read aloud the article. Anthony leaned back in the chair, staring at the wall. "Do you understand what this means, Anthony?" His mother released a strained laugh. "You are to get married in four days, and the town is going to think you two are already treading waters!"

"Aren't we though, Violet?" Nola questioned, Anthony quickly leaned up, shocked to hear her voice for the first time in three days.

Violet's eyes narrowed, "what do you mean child?"

"Lord Bridgerton..." Anthony leaned back again, releasing a loud huff, "Anthony, confirmed a affair, within the first day of our engagement, and,"

He cut her off, "could you let me explain?"

"Then do it."

"Yes, I did go to see Sienna that night your mother claimed, and yes, I have seen her previously before that, as well, but I did not test your honor, Nola. I would never." He stood up, and made his way across the table to her. "I went to her to tell her I never could see her again." Nola's eyes met his, almost trying to find if it was the truth he was speaking, he got on his knees in front of her, bringing the cold metal of their engagement ring to his lips, and then pressing them to her soft knuckles. "Nola, you must believe me..."

"I'll leave you two alone..." Violet stated, closing the door.

"Please, Nola... I promi," before he could finish, she grabbed his face, pulling him into meet her lips, his hands quickly grabbing at her waist, pulling her up to meet him. Her hands traveled to his chest, as his mouth trailed down her neck, to her chest.

"My lord, I- I" she stuttered, the wonderful feeling taking over her. He grasped her waist once more, placing her on his desk, once again attacking her lips, beginning to feel over her body. "Anthony..." she moaned, and with that sound, he backed off. Knowing he had gone too far. Placing one more gentle kiss to her cheek, he helped her down,

"I will never hurt you again." He promised.

"My lord... please do not make promises you can not keep."