fourty-two • secrets

•••"a love to open every door

•••
"a love to open every door."
•••

Grosvenor Square, August 1814

Of course, Anthony has been kept in the dark for the past few days.

He still remained unaware of Nola's pregnancy and her plot to help Marina track down Sir George Crane, for she was not going to allow any young girl to be blamed for her condition, without the man having any reprimanding.

With Daphne extending the invitation to her ball to the Featheringtons, Nola heard of an exchanging mentioning Sir Crane himself.

"I beg your pardon, but did you say 'Crane'?" Nola questioned, looking to both women, "would that be a Sir George Crane?"

Returning to the Featherington House, she took quick note of the handsome man standing quite nervously near the loveseat. "Mr. Crane, how delightful to make your acquaintance." Lady Featherington greeted. "I had no idea a soldier such as yourself was coming to town, and well, Miss Thompson has not yet received any correspondence from you... in quite some time."

The man quickly began, "nor would I have expected her to, my lady." Nola's eyes narrowed, quickly looking over at Marina.

"I beg your pardon?" Lady Featherington gulped, her gaze never leaving the man.

"That man is not who you believe him to be, Lady Featherinton," Marina sighed, Penelope at her side comforting her. "It is not George, but his brother, Sir Phillip."

The air became quite tense, "I have come bearing grim news today." He sucked his teeth, never being able to meet any of our gaze, "my brother George died on the battlefield..." he began tearing up, as Marina exited the room, "several weeks ago, and, uh..."

"Marina..." Nola sighed, chasing her out into the hall. "Marina, please, wait."

"He was writing to me..." she explained, "George." Nola released a long held in sigh. "To tell me he loved me... to tell me we could run away together and marry and have our child." Nola couldn't lift the frown from her face as the girl continues, "Sir Phillip found this half- written letter amongst George's belongings after he, um... If it were not for your recent inquiries, Sir Phillip never would have known I was here," she began to tear up. "And I never would've known George... he loved me." She let out, exasperated. "All this time... he loved me." She cried, gratefully, tears beginning to flow freely down her skin, "I thought him a villain, but he was not." She sobbed.

As Marina breathed deeply, Nola fought to hold back her own tears, attempting to calm the girl, "he had a perfectly reasonable explanation for not writing back to me," Marina continued, breathing growing heavier, "and I was wrong." With one final glance, she ran up the stairs, without a last word from Nola, who bid farewell to the Featheringtons, before making her way across the street.

"Why were you with them?" Anthony questioned, leaning against the wall opposite the door.

"Why were you stalking me?" He released a throaty chuckle, crossing his arms over his chest. "I merely had business to attend to." She shrugged, taking off her shawl.

"Is there something you wish to tell me, Nola?" Anthony interrogated, moving in closer to his wife, "anything, at all?"

"Not that I can recall," she smiled cheekily, "No."

He shook his head, "Are you sure?" He pushed.

"Absolutely." She moved away, "now if you'll excuse me, I must prepare for the ball," he watched her vanish up the steps before returning his gaze to the Featheringtons, wondering what was going on in that house and why his wife had been present.

•••

Upon arrival to the Hasting's estate, Nola quickly spotted Daphne, pulling her into a tight hug. "Daph!" She exclaimed, the widest smile present on her face.

Daphne returned the excitement, grabbing her just as tight. "How is little Alverie doing?" Daphne asked, sipping from her glass, containing an unknown liquid- but most likely champagne.

"She is doing amazing! No more issues with feeding," Nola released a sigh of relief, "that was the hardest part of it all."

Anthony wish he had known she had been struggling with that, but he was booted whenever she claimed she needed to feed their daughter, and now he knows why- to find how frustrated she was. "I cannot wait to see her again soon!" Daphne smiled, seeing someone walk by with a tray of champagne, "would you like any?" Nola quickly muttered in protest, causing Anthony to narrow his eyes, she never rejected a drink.

Throughout the night, Anthony began to notice more and more signs, and ways Nola was acting abnormal.

She spent way more time with the food, then with him, for starters...

After seeing Daphne and Simon join the dance floor, Anthony pulled Nola to dance with him, having not done so since the final ball of her season.

A crack of thunder caused everyone to depart, but Nola watched with amazement as the sky flashed tones of silver, and made its loud personal ruckus. "Nola?" Anthony called out, extending his arm to lead her to shelter from the downpour that began to appear.

"Anthony..." she began, connecting her eyes with his, knowing everyone was now looking on confused, anxious to see what was to happen. "I..." she gulped, "I'm pregnant."

Daphne was the first to let out a shriek, quickly covering her mouth, but a smile still present on her face.

"You are not joking me?" Anthony asked, closing in on his wife.

"Never, my lord..." a smile slowly grew on Nola's face, running his hands through her damp hair, before pressing his lips to hers.

"Baby B..." he smirked.