twenty-one • unexpected

•••"He seemed to protect all

•••
"He seemed to protect all...
except those who need his protection."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Waking up, she was cold. She barely remembered letting into her somber mind. Very much ignoring the girl who awoke her. "Nola!" Daphne whispered, a tremble in her voice, "Nola, it's me!"

Nola sat up quickly, surprised to see Daphne in her bedroom before the sun was even awake. She quickly evaluated her situation. Daphne was in her room, Anthony was gone, "where is he?" Nola sighed. "What did he do now?"

Daphne quickly caught Nola up on the happenings of the night before; Simon following her into the Midnight Garden's, their kiss, Anthony finding them. It caused terror through Nola's veins, as she quickly left the comfort of the sheets, pacing around the bedroom. "Daphne... where is he?"

"They're embarking in a duel of honor..."

She couldn't comprehend what her sister-in-law had just stated. Anthony was participating in a duel... a death sentence for either her cousin, or her husband.

She ran to the wardrobe, grabbing her cover up, and yelled for Daphne to awaken Marie and prepare the horses. They had to rush, they were running out of time. She placed on her boots, and anxiously ran in the direction of the stables. Everything she had been arguing with herself about disappeared, her husband could die without knowing he was going to be a father.

Tears fell down her face as she allowed Daphne to lead the way.

Angry thoughts filled her head. Angry at him for not saying a word to her before leaving. Angry at his selfishness. Angry that he was going to attempt to murder her cousin. Of course, Simon kissed his sister, and if Daphne is correct... they were seen. Simon has to marry Daphne, or we're all ruined.

She should have known something was wrong, the pit in her stomach aching, and had been present since he left for the party.

It seemed the ride lasted for hours... her thighs began to ache, as Daphne called out, "there!"

In the distance, Nola could pinpoint their current positions. Anthony aiming at Simon, Simon aiming towards the sky.

She did not know how she was going to do it, but she knew one thing... she wasn't to let either of those men die in front of her. She forced the horse to pick up speed as she began heaving. Panic spreading throughout her entire body.

She was mentally counting down the seconds, terrified of hearing the sound of the bullet. Daphne had trailed behind her, screaming "stop!" As Nola rode right into the middle as the gun went off. Frightening the horse, and sending her falling to the rough ground.

"Nola!" Simon and Anthony screamed in unison, running to assist the young girl. Angrily, Daphne pushed both out of the way.

"Nola?" She cried, "Nola! Answer me, please." The girl hiked herself up on her forearms. Panic filling her face when she realized her position.

"Oh, good God." Simon let out a sigh of relief, embracing the girl, who only shoved him back in response.

"Are you hurt?" Anthony frantically questioned, gazing over her figure for any blood. When he received no response, he yelled, "tell me!"

"I am perfectly well," she spat, rising to her feet. "No thanks to you two idiots!"

"What are you playing at?" Anthony screamed at his wife, gripping her shoulders.

"Says the man who just shot at me!" She mocked, removing herself from his grasp.

"You rode into the middle of a duel!" He retaliated, running his hand through his hair.

You would think this was a heartbreaking argument. The couple fighting like children, but Nola would be blind to not see Anthony's chest rapidly falling, and his eyes turning glossy.

The moment he saw her on the ground, he thought the worst.

He thought her dead.

And, if she had been killed, it would be by the hand of her own husband. The man who was supposed to protect her.

"A moment..." she whispered to her cousin.

"Nola..."

"A moment!" Simon stepped away, Daphne smacking his arm as they went to their own corner. "A duel." Nola stated, blankly. "And you left without a word... do you think of me so little?" She cried, shoving the man. "How dare you!" Tears ran rapidly down her cheeks, and she could clearly see Anthony in the same position, but she didn't care. He caused this.

"Nola..." he began, "I am so... so sorry." His face dropped as he noticed her hand placement. On her abdomen. "God... did you get hit?" He yelled, stalking up to her and examining the area.

"No, Anthony!" She stepped away from him, and let her arms drop. No blood in sight, and Anthony was thankful for it. "I guess it's just motherly instinct..."

The mans eyes widened, finally comprehending her words, his heart dropping, realizing he not only nearly injured his wife, but his child, as well. "Nola..." he choked, but was cut off by Daphne.

"There will be no need to resume." Daphne stated, blankly, as Simon returned to the group. "The Duke and I are to be married." Nola's eyes widened, and her gaze moved to Simon. Anthony turned into the direction of Duke, trying to read his tone, and see if what his sister stated was accurate.

There was to be another wedding.