fourty-three • a right, honorable lady

••• "she is miserable, it says it all here!" •••

•••
"she is miserable, it says it all here!"
•••

Grosvenor Square, September 1814
Month 4

It was the last opportunity the family had to engage in their affair of Pall Mall. The horrific game that brought out the most evil spirits within the herd.

There is nothing like a spot of competition to bring out the worst in a man- or the best in a women.

Lady Whistledown Society Papers

Anthony was anxious to return to Aubrey Hall, the ancestral seat of the Bridgerton's, Anthony's favorite place to reside. He was aching to introduce Alverie to the countryside.

It was odd for Nola to recognize she had been married to Anthony for over a year, ignoring all the difficulties that followed, she never imagined herself feeling this way for anyone, but Anthony had made it so easy.

The next season would hold all of the debutantes, Eloise included, at Aubrey Hall, and while Violet had the intentions to marry off ,not Eloise, but Benedict or Colin. It was not difficult to figure out, Violet never containing any subtlety.

Nola remained in the house, beginning to pack Alverie's close, knowing their child would most likely be born within the confinement of Aubrey Hall, whether then in her bedroom in Grosvenor Square.

Sure, she was eager for a new location, but giving birth anywhere other than her home truly struck her to her core. It simply seemed off. Anthony was out, preparing and replying to invitations for Eloise this season. Much to Nola's dismay, he was responding the same way he had for dear Daphne. Nola just made sure she watched carefully over what was to happen for poor Eloise, hopefully delaying her marriage, even knowing it would look bad for the younger Bridgerton's. They were the most honorable family, anyone would be eager to take their hands.

Upon arrival to the country home, Anthony had quickly vanished to tend to his final bits of work before the long awaited game of Pall Mall.

Nola had remained in their room, setting up Alverie's bassinet in the corner, knowing it was going to be troubling to catch any sleep with the loud child in the room. Alverie just liked to murmur her own precious words.

A knock on the door was heard, and Nola peeped it open, seeing the frail figure of Eloise. "Dear?"

"I heard my niece was in the room, and I would much like to see her." She smiled, as Nola allowed her entry. She quickly picked up the child, who seemed just as eager to see her.

"Now, what is the real reason you wished to see me, Eloise?" The girl sighed, finally meeting Nola's eyes.

"I need you to advocate for me..." Nola's eyes narrowed to her younger sister-in-law, not by many months though, "to your husband? My brother."

"Believe me Eloise," she attempted to comfort the girl. "I am trying, but Anthony is a man. He shall never understand a woman's will, and how she wishes to live her life."

Eloise knew Nola was right, still she wished her brother would understand her predicament. "You wished to follow your heart, I want to nurture my mind." Nola agreed it was unfair how boys were treated so different from their female counterparts. In the eyes of society, without Anthony, Nola would be nothing.

"I understand, Eloise, and I will fight until the end of my days to tell Anthony that, but there's only so much we can do." Nola loved her Eloise, and she hated disappointing her. "I will tell Anthony again," she promised, "but I can not extend to you any answers right now." She stated sadly.

Eloise sighed to herself, before wrapping her free arm around Nola. "No one has ever even let me speak a word without scolding me..." she realized, "thank you for not deeming me insane."

"I didn't plan to marry, until I met your brother. It is all about the man, my dear." She extended her hand to the girl, "now, assuming that your here, Anthony will be eager to start Pall Mall." Still holding Alverie, Eloise was out the door, leading Nola to the playing field.

"You certainly took your time getting here," Colin remarked, making a face to Alverie, "here, we're ready to go, Nola, you are pink."
Leaving Eloise with the blue mallet, "shall we play youngest to oldest?"

Nola shook her hand, knowing she would right behind Eloise, "I should rather go last, so that I might have a chance to observe the play of those more experienced than I." She explained.

"A wise woman." Anthony laughed, grabbing Alverie's hand in his. "Then we shall play oldest to youngest." He made a funny face to his daughter, "hello, dear."

Colin interfered, "eh, eh, eh!" He began, "no collusion!"

"She's a baby." Nola laughed, grabbing her daughter from Eloise, "what possibly would she be colluding?"

And with that, the game began, sending a chill through Nola's bones as she saw nothing but dedication in the eyes of her lover.