four • in the pit of my stomach

•••"this one shall always be happy, and marry a man who will carry her always

•••
"this one shall always be happy, and marry a man who will carry her always."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

As any other night of the week, within the halls of the Bridgerton Estate, you could hear the argument because the Viscount and his own mother.

"This matchmaking scheme you rather... transparently concocted with Lady Danbury. It will not work." Anthony stated, looking up at the Viscountess.

"I can think of worse matches for Daphne than a Duke." She stated. "I believe the two of you to be friends?"

"We are good friends." Anthony snapped, looking up from the paper work. "Which is why I know he has absolutely no intention of marrying." He added, nonchalantly.

"You must understand all men make they assertion... your father," she was cut off, rather quickly.

"Do not bring father into this... even if he were in want for a wife... you would most certainly not have the Duke anywhere near Daphne."

"I am fully subscribed to the belief that reformed rakes make the very best husbands." Anthony's eyes widened.

"He will not make her happy!" He exclaimed.
"Daphne deserves better." He added, "and I know you think you are solving the problem, but you are not. And that is all I shall say about the matter."

And we all know a mother would never accept that from her son.

"The duke will be joining us as our guest at Vauxhall tomorrow evening, along with Nola." Anthony's head shot up, "I admit, it was not easy to convince him to come, but with his cousins best interest at heart..."

"Best interest?" Anthony questioned. "You overstep."

"Anthony, she is my eldest daughter."

"Yet she is my responsibility! As are you."

"Responsibility?"

"Do not make this any more difficult than it already is!" Anthony begged Violet.

"I wish to know something, Anthony." Violet started. "Tonight... when you leave this study that you continue to keep at your family home... are you to return to bachelor lodgings across the square? Or will you pay a visit to a certain soprano that you tend to in an apartment that you pay for on the other side of town? Relying on your younger brothers to one day do the job that you cannot. Even with the intention to begin courting the Duke's- your eldest friends family member?" Anthony's heart began to race. A visual of the full picture forming in his head. "You like to speak of responsibility? My dear son!" Violet exclaimed. "Of duty? Pray tell, what should you know of it? I sit with her in that drawing room. Do you know what I see? A young woman who is terrified because she knows what kind of life. What kind of future awaits her... should you continue to get in her way." In pained Anthony to hear the words his mother spoke, for hurting Daphne has never been his intention. "If your father was still here, Daphne would already have been matched." He zoned out, not wanting to take anymore of the slander, but heard, "are you merely an older brother, or are you the man of this house?" Anthony prayed she would stop, but he knew it was just beginning. "And the sweet Addington girl? Who is she? Someone you think you can easily fool?" Anthony slammed his fists on the table. Violet released a long sigh, before leaving him to his thoughts.

•••

Across the town, in the Hastings Estate, Nola prepared for the ball. Trying a new color, she wore an ivory dress, with a stunning bodes. Nothing "too much", as Sloan stated to her. Their arrival to the ball happened soon after. Walking in on her cousin, Simon's arm, but soon being left at the refreshments table, and without a word from the Duke.

"Why, hello, my dear!" Lady Bridgerton exclaimed, catching sight of the girl. "You look quite lovely this evening."

"As do you, madam." Nola responded, with a simple smile.

"Dear, you may call me Violet. No need for formalities between us." Across the room, Violet caught her eldest sons gaze, motioning him to come over, urgently. He abandons Colin, who glared at him once he saw his intended location. "You know my son, Anthony?"

"Most certainly." Nola smiled, "how are you this evening, Lord Bridgerton?"

"Better now that I am in your presence." He flirted, noticing his mother slowly departing. "My, it is quite crowded in here. Would you like to walk with me?"

"Lord Bridgerton... people will assume..." she sighed, feeling quite flustered.

"If it makes you feel any better, we can just go over to the garden. Still in sight of everyone?" She nodded, grabbing his extended hand, which led her to a rose bush. Anthony skillfully managed to grab her a rose, removing all of the thorns himself, "may I?" He asked, and she responded with a gentle nod. He reached up, placing the red rose in her hair. "Beautiful." The twinkle in her eyes made him feel a way he's never felt before.

"Thank you, my lord."

"Please, call me Anthony." She nodded in response, following him through to the fountain. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"Indeed, Sir. You know... when I was a child, I always dreamed of having a garden. My mother loved to plant things, but father thought it embarrassing. I don't see how? It was simply a skill. A beautiful skill, don't you think? Being able to create life from... from a seed?" She asked, quite excitedly.

"It is the most beautiful, is it not? Life forms from love, and from dedication..." he was met with a confused gaze. "What is the matter?"

"Oh, nothing, sir. Just... personal questions, I guess." She pondered asking him, but knew it was not appropriate.

"If it is a bother, Nola, I will gladly answer," yet he never got the chance, for the next thing he sees is his sister walking band in hand with the Duke. His soul just about leaving his body.

"Lovely." Nola smiled.