fourty-four • pall mall

*credit to Julia quinn*

•••"she was charming, and a sore loser

•••
"she was charming, and a sore loser."
•••

Aubrey Hall, September 1814
Month 4

"Will someone please explain the rules?" Nola laughed, standing next to her cousin. "I still do not understand."

"Just follow along," Daphne said briskly, "You'll figure it out as you go along."

"I think," Simon whispered to Nola, "that the object is to sink your opinion's ball into the lake."

"Really?"

"No. But I think that's how the Bridgerton's see it."

"You're still whispering!" Colin called out sparing a glance in their direction, then he barked, "Hastings, hit the bloody ball. We haven't all day."

"Colin," Daphne cut in, "do not curse. Your niece is present."

Colin blinked then jokingly turned to Alverie, "do you mind?" Her only response was a loud giggle, "Good." Colin turned to the Duke. "Hastings, get moving."

The Duke nudged his ball a bit forward from the rest in the pile. "You do realize," he said to no one in particular, "that I have never played Pall Mall before?"

"Just give the ball a good whack in that direction, darling." Daphne explained, putting to the first wicket, only for her and Anthony to begin arguing about what wicket was to be the first, and which was the last.

Daphne's jaw jutted out, "I set up the course, and it is the first."

"I think this might get bloody." Nola joked to her daughter.

The Duke turned to Anthony and flashed him a false smile, "I believe I'll take Daphne's word for it."

"She did set up the course."

Anthony, Colin, Simon, and Daphne all looked to her in shock, as if they couldn't quite believe she'd had the nerve to enter the conversation.

"Well, she did." Nola laughed.

Daphne looped her arm through hers, "I've always adored you, Nola Bridgerton." She announced.

"God help me," Anthony muttered.

The Duke flew back his mallet, let fly, and soon the orange ball was hurtling along the lawn.