f i v e : The Lost memories and Threats*

five: The lost memories and Threats

IT WAS dark that surrounded her. It was the water that drowned her. It was the silence that scared her. But it was the face of the faceless monster that haunted her the most.

Everyone was already asleep in the manor, and Jude was staying up late reading. Her mind was buzzing with paranoia. Her skin was red and covered in scratches and nail marks. Brown hair pulled up in a ponytail to avoid being pulled whenever they surrounded her face.

The lights of her bedroom were closed and the only source of light for her to read was the moonlight that had shined through her window. The light breeze had entered the room from the little opening of her bay window, making her shivered in cold.

There wasn't anyone else there, other than the sound of crickets chirping from the woods at the back of the manor, and the sound of the pages turning as she read chapter by chapter.

Jude couldn't sleep. Because her mind wouldn't let her. Her mind was filled with nightmares that seemed to be real. Usually it would be the drowning dream or the chased. But this time, it was about a dark room.

A room where she felt alone but wasn't.

In that room, there were other kids. One redhead, two brunette, two blondes, one supposedly sand brown and one dark haired. 4 girls and 3 boys.

Jude didn't know who the girls and boys were. She didn't know if her mind was playing tricks into thinking she was not completely alone but she actually was. That she wasn't imagining these kids.

But something was different about this. It felt too real. There're wood chipped walls and little lighting coming from the barricaded windows, and the disgusting smell of stale meat. The room was high because Jude felt like she was sick, just like every time she was standing somewhere high.

There were sniffles and quiet cries coming from the children. All of them huddled up in pairs and trio.

With the other children faded from her view, the only child that stood up from the rest was a dark haired girl. It may be dark in the room, but for some reason, Jude knew her hair was actually brown.

The girl sat in the corner with her small arms around her knees. Head buried in her arms, as she rocked back and forth.

Jude walked towards her a bit and she could hear the small whispers coming from her little lips. Beware of the Top-Hat. Beware of the Top-Hat. She whispered.

The 17 year old her someone saying towards the little girl, but it fell on deaf ears, and to Jude, the sound was muffled.

The girl kept on rocking back and forth, and mumbling the same words. Top-hat. Beware of the top-hat. What's the top-hat? And why should she be aware of that? 

Soon, the mumbling no longer became a mumble, but turned in to screamed of fear. 'BEWARE OF THE TOP-HAT! BEWARE OF THE TOP-HAT!'

Jude was then startled when a loud bang echoed in the room. She looked around to see all the kids had stood up and began saying the same thing as the little girl. They all had formed a circle around Jude. They're eyes shadowed and skin paled with black veins stretching on their necks and cheeks.