Chapter I

Kainene

        "Kaineeeee!!!!!" Onome's shrieks met my ears making me almost flinch as I turned back to see her running towards me. I let out a laugh as well as a small gasp as she threw her full weight on me.

         Now it was finally feeling like resumption day. Pacific crest(Pacreis) students were forever hyper on resumption days. It was all shrieks,large hugs,helping each other carry our bags to our various hostels and then gisting about every single hour,minute and second of our holiday,sometimes till midnight.

        "Jesus,I missed you!" She shrieked again,pulling away from me and helping me pick the handle of my travelling bag which I'd dropped. "I missed you too" I laughed.

         "Kainene" Jadesola,my rather more reserved friend brought me in for another hug. "Jade,how are you?" I questioned,hugging her back.

        "I'm fine o. Oh baby what did you bring for us naw? Anything for the girls?" She questioned making us all laugh. "First help me carry my things and reach canopy first na" I laughed back as she took my travelling bag from me.

        "Have you guys entered hostel? I know this Onome na punctuality prefect,she came since morning" I teased.
"Hmm,my sister,I dont know if that my mother doesnt get tired of bringing me here so early" Onome replied with a sneer.

        "I've sha checked into hostel sha. But paying school fees just ate all my time. That Uncle David is so slow ahh" Jade complained as we walked away from the canopy after we'd dropped my bags at a safe corner.

        "Ah seriously? Thank God my mother went to pay it herself o. But she will na come and baff(bath) me with shout now. Nawa o" I added as we got to the part of the parking lot where the driver had parked my mum's car.

        "This one your mother even came today. Are we safe?" Onome teased as I opened the door to the front of the car and settled myself into the chair.

        "That is ehn. She just said she wanted to come today and pay my school fees. I just laughed because all these years she hasnt been coming abi I dont used to pay my school fees?" I questioned making all of us laugh.

        "Chaiii..Onome my brother has come back o" Jade said tapping Onome lightly on her arm. "Did he buy the icecream?" Onome questioned,looking to the back of the car to affirm what Jade was saying.

         "Kainene we'll come back yeah" Onome informed before they both dashed out of the parking lot and down the slabways of the school. I laughed inwardly  at how we always went mad for ice cream  even though we could have buckets at home.

         Looking forward and sighting my mother making her way back to the car,I jumped down. "Mommy have you finished?" I questioned,ignoring the slight look of irritation she had on her face.

       "Let me sit down first abeg before you start with all your questions" she retorted,pushing me aside and getting into the car. I rolled my eyes before turning back to her.

        I took the receipts from her hand and began looking through them. "You cant even say thank you ehn?" She snapped at me making me look back to her.

       As much as I wanted to snap back and tell her how she'd outrightly dissed me earlier on,I ended up letting out a "Thank you Mommy"

         "What about the sandals you said you carried to school that I want to use?" She questioned further. So that was why she'd chosen to tag along this time,because she wanted to get back a simple pair of sandals from me even though she had a million more back at home.