Chapter XXXV

Kainene

          We'd spent seconds,minutes,hours looming over the slabways and enjoying the company of our chatters and laughs which had found their place in the atmosphere of the night which now lingered around us. There was this thing about late night talks,it always had a way of messing with your head and placing you on cloud nine.

         "Daryl,if I fall and faint on this slab,it will be your fault" I lamented,despite knowing that I too was in no way ready to leave his company. I didn't want the night to end,and it saddened my insides knowing that was one facade of a wish.

         "I'll carry you,don't worry. You have me" his smirk grew into a smile,tugging over my hands which were still intertwined with his as he now walked backwards before me,so that we faced each other.

         In my attempt to roll my eyes as well as prevent a chuckle from escaping my lips at his being the best at saying the most cheesy yet cute things,my gaze caught Temi and Oghale,who had started making their way down the infirmary slab.

        I felt my smile drop as I watched them,I was a good distance away from them yet I could almost feel the tension of their conversation. They were almost the most law-abiding students I knew and for the fact they still hovered over the slabways till this time meant that whatever was between them must've been serious.

          "What are you looking at?" Daryl questioned,attempting to follow my line of vision. "Daryl" I called before he could,earning his attention again. "Do you...." I trailed off,thinking of the best way to render my trouble to him as my gaze darted to our feet.

         "Yeah,what's on your mind?" He questioned,bridging the greater part of the space which separated us. "I don't know...do I seem maybe..." I struggled with my words,my gaze running all over the place,everywhere except his.

         "Mhmm" he hummed lowly,which finally brought my gaze to rest on his rather assuring one. If only he knew that his fumbling with our fingers,had me fighting to maintain focus. Why and how did he know the littlest ways to stir up things I couldn't explain in me?

         "Like...Am I a bad friend?" I questioned,causing his brows to dip slightly,cocking his head to the side as he stared at me,probably trying to understand my question.

          "A bad friend?" He repeated,the dip between his brows deepening as he stared at me. "Why would you even think that?" His tone grew with concern.

         "Because...." I trailed off with a sigh. "Because..." he repeated again,urging me to complete my statement. "It just feels that way,like I'm never there for my friends,like I never know when they're down or when they're going through stuff. I just feel very...." I sighed,my hands leaving his as I wrapped them around my torso,the chills of the night suddenly starting to get to me.

          "Kay" he called,causing my initially averted gaze to return to him. "You're a good friend" he tried to convince. "You're just saying that to make me feel better" I told him,my voice much lower before,talking about it made me realise how much it had started to bug me.

          "I'm not,really..." he started,bringing his hands to caress my arms lightly,which seemed to bring much more warmth than the simple action should have. "You're just,oblivious to some things and its not your fault and your friends get that. You might not show your care the way most people do,but they understand you either ways,that's why you are friends" he told me.

         "You see,that's the problem. I feel like everyone is always looking out for me....but I'm never looking out for them..like look at today,Oghale was in tears and I didn't even notice. She would never do that to me,if I go through the slightest mood change,Oghale notices. But I don't know why...why..." my voice finally broke,giving off a heavy exhale.