Chapter XXVII

Kainene

           I walked stealthily over the corridors of the school block,contemplating where I should head to,my class or my prep class. If I headed to class,I was sure I wouldnt be able to read a single word this evening. For some reason,I always found myself drowning more in my thoughts whenever I was in class,simply knowing that Daryl was one seat away from me had restarted making me tense from time to time,peeking at my curiosity as well.

         A glance wont kill,I always tried to convince myself and because I never gave into my requests,it kept my feet sunk in my thoughts all day long. Deciding that I couldn't have more of that this evening,I took a turn as I reached the second crossroad of the corridors.

         Lately,I'd managed to pay a bit more attention to my prefectship duties,as I seized every opportunity to get myself distracted. To make matters worse,our mock exam time table had been published earlier today and our exams would be commencing about a week before the exams of the rest of the school.

         The reality that we were in final year and would  soon start facing the most feared exams of high school was finally sinking in. From where I stood downstairs on the corridor of the SS2 classrooms and directly opposite the SS3 block,I noticed the unusual rowdiness of the SS3 classes,signifying that it wasn't only I who had come to that realisation.

          "Shut up and sit down" I ordered as I walked into SS2B,taking my usual position at the last seat of the class in my attempt to overlook the actions of everyone. The class stilled,each of them rushing to their seats as I rested my head over my knuckles,watching how long it took them to settle down and wondering if I would have to lay down a threat using someone as an example.

          The sluggish threading of feet through the door which lay ajar beside me had me averting my attention to the two girls who now took their time,waltzing into the class. "Dunni and Kike,do I have to shout?" I questioned lowly,causing them to look to me.

          Even though they tried to mask it,I'd already detected the distaste in their orbs before they both muttered an 'I'm sorry' and sauntered to their seats. Did the action annoy me,of course it did but I found it rather childish to challenge their unwitty tactics.

          Everything had become clearer to me after the harvest ceremony. Even if it was only but a few times,I'd noticed Dunni's glare resting over me during the rehearsals,especially the times Daryl attempted talking to me.

         Her face kept on becoming clearer,I recalled her from the night Daryl and I took a stroll after prep,I began to understand why she always tried to give a hint of rudeness in her actions towards me. It didn't bother me,instead she confirmed my doubts even more.

         From what I'd drawn up so far,I understood she'd had something to do with Daryl sometime that I couldn't careless about. But what was more important was that,she was still interested in him but he seemed to have less interest in her. Like I said,it was just my personal inference,I hadn't gone digging or anything,it was just too obvious.

         Sometimes,I dared to wonder what had actually gone down between them and how it had gone down but I did caution myself,I wasn't to put my concern into what would bring me no good.

         But with Daryl beginning to occupy my thoughts again,it was almost inevitable. More questions built up in me everyday,I began to worry even more,was I really just another girl to him? Was I really different to him? He'd probably told every other girl the same thing.

           I sighed,realising I'd done it again,staring into space and failing to bring out even a single book from my bag let alone read it. I quickly took out my Physics textbook,cursing at myself for wasting the first good fifteen minutes of my prep time as I flipped the pages and got to solving the revision questions from where I'd left off.