Chapter VIII

Daryl

         "Daryl! Guy,stand up joorh!" The impact of a slap against my shoulder had me stirring where I lay on my bed. "Daryl!" Temi called again,more annoyed this time.    

        "What na? Early Saturday morning you dey slap person?" I groaned in response,finally pulling myself to sit on the bed. "Brother John is coming to ref and he's going to look for you again" he informed me.

         "Why this brother just like me like this ehn? He no dey see other refectorians for that refectory?" I grunted,taking to my feet for a stretch.

         "Abeg hurry up,sports is almost over,I'm not even meant to be in hostel now." Temi urged,taking a seat on his bed which was opposite mine.

          "I hope say you no wan baff,lay bed and do all those your plenty plenty now o?"he questioned,as I began folding my blanket.

         "I cant go out without bathing na,my mates are still sleeping o" I told him,gesticulating towards Yomi,who lay sprawled all over his bed and Collins,who had made Yomi's corner into his own bed.

        "Daryl,just wash face make we dey go na" Temi complained. "Temi,abi you don baff,allow me na,make I fit baff" I told him,gathering a few buckets from beneath my bunk.

         "Oh,Oluwa Abasi!" He sighed. "I'll be fast,dont worry" I told him as I headed for the bathroom. Just as I'd promised,I took little or no time in brushing,bathing and heading back to the room.

        "Abi I tell you say I no go waste time" I told Temi,walking into the hostel. "Oya do fast let's go abeg" he told me as I started pulling on my clothes.

         "Why Brother John dey mumu himself like this na?"I questioned as I finished throwing on my sports wear,grabbing a comb from my travelling bag.

         "The guy dey vex me sef,he wan kill me and Oghale on top this small JS1 people wey dey come school....Abeg Yomi,I dey carry hostel key o"he directed the last part to Yomi who had just awoken from his slumber and sat,staring into space.

          He cleared his voice before replying "No na,All of us go still come for food na" but it still came out husky enough to know that he was just waking up.

         "Ohh,okay,Abeg lock hostel if you come out o" Temi told him,tossing the hostel key to his bed. "No wahala" he slurred,lying back down on his bed as Temi and I walked out of the hostel,locking the metal flush doors behind us as we did.

         "This early saturday morning o" I complained yet again as Temi and I joined the crowd of students who were now making their way to refectory as sports had just been concluded.

         The minute we did though,the sound of increasing paces of feet threading met my ears,every students had taken to running so they would get past us because if they didnt,either I or Temi would have them punished.

         "Temi help me check if food is ready in the kitchen abeg" I appealed as Temi and I stepped into the refectory. "No wahala" he told me before walking off.

          Looking over the refectory,the rest classes had been calmed by the junior refectorians(Refectorians in SS1 and SS2) except SS2 row because no senior refectorian had stepped into refectory yet. And to think I deemed myself lazy,those people hardly ever saw the break light of this refectory.

         "SS2 idiots,you people want me to talk abi?" I questioned,walking into the aisle that demarcated their row from the SS3 row. The noise died down in a split second as all of them buried their faces over crossed arms on their tables.