Chapter XIII

Kainene

          The week had gone by quicker than I expected it to,there were less unexpected occurrences so I could proudly say my life was going back to shape. Besides the orientation of the new students,I was sure there was nothing special going on in our school in general.

         Well,I couldnt say that there werent things that pinched my mind from time to time. I recalled walking down the slabways and meeting Jawal at the intersection who was headed for the matron's office.

         "How did the debate go?" He'd asked me as we walked. "We lost the debate sha but it was okay in general,at least I'm done right?" I replied.

         "Ahah,after all your plenty cramming like you wanted to die" he sympathised. "Its not my test so I didnt lose anything" I told him. "You now,how has it been for you?" I was quick to change the topic.

         "My dear,Auntie Yinka has just been using me to do all these new student work,we even have to organise people to arrange auditorium every morning for their orientation,its stressful abeg" he explained to me.

        "I understand sha,me I didnt even want a buddy in the first place. I'm happy my buddy isnt stressing me sha,she and her twin are figuring it out well" I told him.

         "That means you're even lucky sef" he commented,as he started walking backwards so facing me. "My bunkie is a new student and the guy freaking bed-wets Kainene" he told me,making me give off a long laugh as amusement surged through me while we reached our class.

        But I hadnt laughed that long because what he'd said was that funny. I'd remembered when Daryl told me about a junior student and described his situation as 'nocturnal enuresis'. I gave off a sigh,realising what I'd thought about.

         Jawal and I talked for extra minutes before he excused himself to answer to our matron,Auntie Yinka's call. Jade and Onome sat behind the class,talking with the rest of our classmates while trying to update their chemistry notes from mine.

         After a while of sitting in silence,I found myself walking to the corridors of the classroom and someway,somehow,I got engrossed in watching the boys play their football game.

         I hadnt watched for long before I witnessed the,should I say,tragic scene of Daryl crashing into the ground and Martins following suit beside him. As much as a surprise it'd come to me,I couldn't say I'd not expected it. He'd been running too fast,it was bound to happen.

          I watched him limp to the sidelines of the field,suddenly losing interest in the game as I watched him whince in pain as he lowered himself into the chair. He should have at least gained cover from the scorch of the sun. Realising what I was doing,I sighed and walked back into the class.

         "Kainene,are you sure you dont wan to come to ref?" Jade questioned from where she leaned on my desk. "I'm sure,after all I dont like spaghetti so what's the point?" I replied.

        "What if Auntie Yinka going round to check today?" Onome questioned,throwing her school bag over her shoulders. "Then I'll just give up na,but for now let me stay biko" I told them. "No wahala sha,we'll carry your snacks" Jade told me.

        "Thank you my love" I smiled. "Bye!" They called out and I waved back before they could stride out of the class. After they'd taken their leave,the rest of the class slowly emptied out until I was sure the class had gone dead silent.