Chapter XLVI

Kainene

          Just when we needed time to be on our side,it worked against us,flying past with such haste that we soon found ourselves at the last week of our NECO exams. As much thrills that had begun to set in,tensions had begun to rise as well.

          I tried to ignore it all,tried to ignore the thoughts which poked at me,the fact that my relationship was yet to decide if it would sink or remain over the waters. I tried to ignore the fact that if it capsized,I would be the cause.

          "Kainene,what's up?" Jawal detached me from my thoughts,walking up to where I stood beside my table. My friends were nowhere to be found and I knew why. Everybody was trying to make the best out of our left over time.

          Jade was inseparable from Yomi, Oghale and Temi were unfortunately still trying to find their feet and Onome,well,she had a lot of scores to settle. I felt out of place,like I wasn't where I was meant to be or doing what I was meant to be doing. Daryl was trying hard and it made me feel like I cared less. It had me wondering if that was the case.

         "I'm fine,and you?" I shrugged,taking a seat on the chair while he leaned against the table. We had no examination to get over with today so it was more or less a free day. And it was going to be so until Thursday,when we would write our very final paper,Civic Education,and be officially done with high school.

         "Omo...I don't really know..." he trailed off. I kept a stoic expression,which only expressed how little interest I had in whatever he had to say. "I've just been feeling a lot of remorse recently,for how I treated you that day..." he trailed off.

         "You've already apologised for that Jawal,its fine really" I tried to assure. I might have not reciprocated his feelings,but I still had a heart. Jawal had apologised to me thousands of times for his actions that night,but it still bugged him. I'd forgiven him,I really had.

         "What university are you going to?" I felt the urgent need to avert the direction of the conversation. "UI(University of Ibadan). My mum has been obsessed with her alma mater so she insisted that I attend the school too. What about you?" I was glad when he didn't push the former topic any further.

          "I really don't know..."I started. "You have a lot of options then" he chuckled. "Not really,my mum wants me to go to Nile but my Uncle wants Stanford" I gave him a tight explanation.

         "Where would you rather go?" He pushed on. "I actually want to go to Nile" I admitted. I'd been too cowardly to admit to anyone asides my girlfriends. I didn't want word to reach Daryl's ears. I chose to avoid it as long as I could.

         "What's going on here?" Daryl's almost agitated voice came in as he settled beside me,casting a predatory gaze on Jawal. "Chill man,we were just talking" Jawal tried to tell him.

         "I'm here now so that talk is over" Daryl sneered. I parted my lips to say something but I refrained. I knew Daryl had been on edge for a while now,even a poke from a needle could evoke an outburst from him. Talk less of when Jawal or even worse,Collins was involved.

          I shot Jawal a remorseful look and he fortunately understood,taking to his feet and striding away in surrender.

         "Daryl..." I started,turning to him. "Please don't defend him Kay" he told me plainly,sullenness suddenly budding in his orbs. My words hitched in my throat as I watched him. I wanted to tell him that he could have been less hostile,but it probably wasn't the best time.

        "Did you guys get to play the video games yesterday?" I did the good work of changing the topic of the conversation again as he interlaced his fingers into mine.