Chapter XXXVII

Daryl

         "Omor,e no been funny at all guy" Yomi lamented,his grimace deepening despite Temi and Sele being thrown into a fit of laughter by his tale. Even though I did try to hold back my laughs,I couldn't deny the fact that his lamentation was amusing.

         "Like do you understand guy...."he continued as we made our way down the slabways,headed for the auditorium as we had a social night planned out.

          We'd concluded our second mock exams some weeks back,thus we'd been given a break thereafter as we had to head home to take our JAMB examinations. On our return to school the previous day which was Saturday,the chatters loomed over the school walls and had refused to die down as everyone had a tale to tell as to how they'd taken the exam.

         It was a natural and expected response, the JAMB examination was a computer-based test which featured a hundred and eighty objective questions extracted from four core subjects and your performance determined your fate with getting into university in the course of your choice.

         "I just dey enter the house and the woman just be like- Ehen, Yomi, o wa nibi. Jọwọ wọ ibi idana ounjẹ ki o si iwon iṣu yẹn fun mi-(Ehen,Yomi,you're here. Please enter the kitchen and pound that yam for me). Funny thing is that,the three days after I came back,everybody was giving me space based on,ehen,I was reading for JAMB and all and trying to do CBT tests but after the exam,this people did not allow me to rest" He expanciated,music sounding from the speakers of the auditorium now beginning to massage our ears as we drew even closer.

        "Wait,I been think say you been write by 7am" Sele inquired,whilst still trying to stifle his laughs. "Na wetin pain me pass be that!" Yet another outburst from Yomi had us all being thrown back into a fit of laughter,one I couldn't resist this time.

         "I no even sleep for night,I dey awake like through out,they no even mercy me say make I close eye small after the exam,them just turn me to house boy instant,as if them don dey wait me since. When I think say them don leave me,my papa come say make I follow am go office,which kain life abeg? Man no just fit dey get peace" He finished with a hiss,adjusting the collar of the dress shirt of his daywear as he undid the button over his neck,clearly infuriated by his story.

        "Omo,your own been bad oh"  Sele laughed. "On top everything,the exam come choke on top. Like,why you go give person like twenty atomic spectra calculations in physics,as we no just dey use calculator so,my head just dey very hot that day" Temi added.

         "At least you sef,you still get head. My head been loss from my body after I finish that demonic chemistry. Them been just carry chemistry of phosphorus and sulphur full my page and I no been just gather for that area. See electrolysis,radioactivity and all those carbon them wey I been tight for there,nothing just comot" Sele narrated.

       "The exam just dey very somehow" Yomi concurred. "Last last,na una go still come dey smash 270 and 290,after all this una talk" I told them. "Who be this?" Sele fired at me playfully. "Leave am,na that sleep wey him don dey sleep since morning wey dey touch him brain. He think say all of us be like am. We don dey complain since,dude just dey quiet" Yomi laughed,giving my right side a nudge.

       "Exam been go well for am naw,you nor know who him be?" Temi laughed as well. "Make una stop all these things wo" I attempted to laugh,although it was short lived.

        Although everyone had been chatting away about how their exams had gone,I lacked their enthusiasm to talk about mine as a lot more than questions and answers had presented themselves to me that day.