Chapter XXV

Kainene

My ascent over the stairs which led to our classrooms was rather calculative,taking two steps at a time as I focused more on monitoring the footsteps behind me than mine. I knew he'd been directly behind Jade and I all this while and it disturbed me. But then again,I also couldn't just tell him to piss off or something,I didnt own the school.

"Daryl" I heard a rather pitchy feminine voice call,causing my feet to come to halt abruptly. "What happened?" Jade questioned,pausing as well. Instead of giving her an answer,I fought the urge to look back. Why was I still letting him affect me? Why did I care who he spoke to or not? It was none of my business.

I noticed Jade look over my shoulder to where Daryl and the rather unfamiliar girl stood on the other side of the staircase. "Nothing,let's go" I urged,taking hold of her wrist and pulling her into the class with me. Her gaze remained on me,studying my every move from when I took my seat to when I took out my books.

"Kainene..." she called subtly,placing her hand over my shoulder. "Yeah" I replied coolly,not wanting to come off as perturbed. "Where did Onome even go again? Is she with Aimua?" I questioned her before she could do same to me.

"I think so,she said she'll come for prep later sha" she explained. "That girl is lucky that she knows book,because the way she skips reading ehn" I chuckled,in my attempt to wheel her off track from whatever she had wanted to say.

"Azzin ehn" she laughed as well,though quiet briefly before her gaze became serious again,meaning I'd failed my mission. Before she could say anything though,the hurried threading of Daryl's feet earned both our attentions as he walked into the class.

I was quick to avert my gaze from him to the books in my hand,cursing myself for still tensing at the lock of our gazes. His stare remained on me for a while,I could feel it,but not for long because he was quick to stride towards the seat opposite mine on the aisle,settling himself at the rear end so he was directly beside me.

Looking between us both,Jade went on to bring out her books,like she was leaving us to our space but she only increased the stuffy feeling that was beginning to build up within me at his proximity. I decided to ignore it though,at least I tried but I just couldn't. It was uncomfortable,picking at my nails knowing that his gaze would rest on me every now and then,the awkwardness had clung around my neck,threatening to strangle me.

Getting fed up,I slammed the biology textbook before me close,taking to my feet thereafter. "Where are you going?" Jade questioned,watching me pack my things.

"I'm going to my prep class" I told her. "But I thought you dont like going there" she queried as I threw my bag over my shoulder. "Apparently,someone wants me out of the class" I told her,not bothering to look Daryl's way but still fully aware of his gaze on me.

"Ahah na,Kainene,noone said that" Jade tried to defend,understanding my statement fully well. "I dont just feel comfortable abeg" I stated with a shrug. "So I'll now climb stairs again?" She sulked.

"You dont have to come with me na. Onome will soon come and meet you" I told her. "Jesus,Kainene na...just stay,please" Jade pleaded. "I can't,I'll come back later yeah,bye" I waved before walking out of the class. I was yet to reach the end of the first flight of stairs when Daryl's voice had me stopping in my tracks.

"Kainene" he called from the where he stood over the stairs. I ignored him,continuing in my way. Jogging down the stairs,he was quick to block my path before I could take on the second flight of the stairs.

"You can stay,I'll leave" he offered,causing my gaze to avert to him. "So you know you're the problem?" I questioned,feeling bits of anger grow in me. It was funny,how he annoyed me without even trying. I always made it so easy for him.