Chapter XX

Daryl

          "Temi let's go na" I urged from where I stood beside him before the stairs. "Wait na,let me make sure no junior idiot is here" he told me,scanning the corridors of the block.

         "There's nobody abeg,let's go" I grumbled,turning on my heels and beginning my ascent up the stairs. "I just need to be sure,I don't know why they still want to hold this thing today" Temi complained,following me in close range.

        "Like ehn,I thought Tobi was going to leave this thing for another day na,test is on Monday here" I added to his complaint. "Let's just go and come back abeg" he sighed as we turned into the right corridor.

        "Is Yomi coming?" I questioned as strode down the corridor. "You know that it's only test week that that guy used to be humble. If he comes,he will be hung over tomorrow...." I was quick to cut him off.

        "But tomorrow is Sunday na" I told him. "Ehn na,but you know how his father is. You sef,you know na" Temi pointed out the fact that I should already have an idea of Yomi's situation.

         "Its true sha,plus all the issues he is still trying to juggle" I told him. "Exactly" Temi concurred. We walked for a while,the booming sound of music from what I guessed was a bluetooth speaker slowly beginning to grace our ears as we drew closer to the C-class where our minor sit out was meant to hold.

         "Do you plan on drinking?" Temi questioned as we reached the class and walked in. "What did you say? If I'm going to drink?" I questioned back over the now blasting music from the speakers,as I'd been unable to catch all his words. "Yes!" He barely yelled back.

         "I dont think so!" I called back to him as  we joined the group of boys who'd scattered themselves at all corners of the class,some who stood at the corridors as they had the company of girls,some who had taken to drinking and playing board games,others who seemed to be setting up the comestibles which had been snuck into the school by some illegal means.

         After series of greetings and exchange of handshakes,Temi and I finally settled at the last seat of the class. "I'm sha just waiting for the barbeque,that's what I'm here for" Temi laughed,the faint smell of fermented molasses from the drinks beginning to interlaced itself with the oxygen in the atmosphere.

        "Guy! No be lie abeg" I chuckled in agreement knowing that those sweetly grilled catfish were what Temi and I always anticipated,our motivation to come for evening gatherings like these. We always got invited to almost everything,but noone knew that the key to our being present was barbeque being on the menu.

         Everyone seemed to be having their best time,our upcoming test seemed to be the last thing on their mind. "How far na? I thought you people weren't coming?" Sele questioned,walking to where we sat and taking a seat at the edge of the table.

         "We just say make we come once once" Temi replied with a shrug. "How come you came?" I was the next person to question Sele. "Hostel was boring abeg,plus this Econs textbook is killing me" Sele groaned,earning a chuckle from Temi as he hung his knee against the desk.

         "I think I'll soon give up on that textbook" Temi laughed. "Na so,Econs script go show now,na only Temi go knack perfect score" Sele mused with a deep chuckle.

         "With where I am in that book ehn,if I get up to half of that perfect score,I go do thanksgiving" Temi replied admist his laughs. "But how that woman go teach full first term work for test na?" I questioned,joining their laughter.

         "Like guy! What the actual f*ck?!" Sele laughed,standing up and going to pick a red plastic cup from the table which they'd been stacked. "Temi I know you're not drinking,Daryl how far you?" Sele questioned.