Chapter VII

Kainene

"Kainene!" Jasmine called just before I could walk into the class. We'd had the rest of the day free as it was Friday,there were only but a few classes after break and most of the teachers never showed up for those classes.

"Yes?" I called back,turning to where she was climbing up the stairs. "English Aunty said we should come now,the debate something" she informed me.

"Urgh!" I groaned. "But school is not yet over na" I complained as we walked into the class together. "She said I should call everybody now" she told me.

"This woman can frustrate o" I protested yet again. "I swear guy" Jasmine added with a shake of her head. "Please call your partner abeg,I've called every other person" she pleaded.

"Daryl abi" I sighed,my eyes doing a quick scan of the class and picking up on his abscence from the class. It was Friday afternoon after all,people were out on the corridors,others were huddled up having some sort of serious conversations,others played games,while others simply drifted off to sleep. In summary,it was a substitute leisure time.

"You guys should meet us downstairs yeah" she told me before walking out the door again. "See what this Kemi has put me inside now ehn" I groaned yet again,reaching where Onome and Jade sat on our seat talking about only God knows what.

"This Kemi girl really vexed Kainene today sha" Jade chuckled,as she'd been filled in on what had happened by Onome. "You dont even know sef,its doing me like I should just drag her with me to that staff room" I told her,earning more chuckles from both of them.

"Now to go and start looking for this my wonderful partner" I muttered,taking out my jotter and a pen. "Goodluck" Onome cheered lowly. "Thank you my daughter" I told her,making us both laugh as I took the back door out of the class.

"Where is this boy now?" I uttered under my breath,looking through the corridors before attempting to walk into B class. As soon as I turned though,Daryl's figure was quick to block my way,making me take a few steps back to avoid losing my balance.

"Where've you been?" I questioned as his gaze,which I could describe as somewhat chilly,averted to me. He stared at me like he hadnt heard what I'd asked or was looking for answer to my question.

"I've been here,why do you ask?" He finally breathed heavily,tucking his hands into the pockets of his trousers,moving to lean on the wall beside the door frame.

"We've been looking for you" I told him. "Well,maybe you didnt look hard enough" he shrugged. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes,I guess the real Daryl was finally returning.

Deciding that I was too tired to pick a fight with yet another person,I ignored the attitude he was currently giving me. "Let's go abeg,them Jasmine are waiting downstairs" I told him.

"You can go,I'll come and meet you guys" he stated before walking off,towards the direction of our class. Staring at his retreating back,I groaned,finally rolling my eyes and storming down the corridors and down the stairs. What's even doing that one? I thought as I walked.

"Did you call him?" Jasmine asked as soon as I reached where the remaining four people had gathered as Daryl and I were the last.

"He said he's coming" I replied,leaning against the wall as our wait for Daryl commenced and I have to say,he sure took his beauty time. By the time he was descending the stairs,he'd kept us there for some good minutes.

"Daryl,500 years o" Alex commented,as we finally started heading for the staff room. "No vex abeg" he gave a low chuckle. I rolled my eyes inwardly. To think that this was the person who had just given me an attitude a few minutes ago.