Chapter XXIV

Kainene

          "Some people had the mind to braid oh" Jade pointed out as we were once again subjected to sauntering over the empty slabways on our way to afternoon prep,first Tuesday of the first week after our mid-term.

          "Ehen,what's there? Me,I would have sha braided sha,if not for my mother" Onome opined,adjusting her black tote bag over her shoulder. "I trust you na,before nko" Jade hailed,causing us all to laugh.

          "Onome you just came prepared for this final year,you're out to kill" I added,my fingers gesticulating towards her zebrawear which had grown much shorter over the mid-term and the fancy beaded flip flops,which of course were all prohibited if we were to go by the rules of the school and last I forget,her new tote bag.

          "I'm just even starting" she stated confidently,bobbing her brows up and down in their place. "Jade,why didnt you braid now?" I directed to the girl at my right hand side. "Abeg,too much stress. I dont have energy for GC(Guidance Counsellor) and her crew" Jade surrendered with a show of her palm.

         "I have their energy,very plenty like this" Onome countered as we turned into the rather stilled corridors of the block. Once again,I appreciated having diligent coworkers,because I knew I was far from being or becoming one.

          We chatted on as we threaded the corridors,giving off chuckles every now and then as our lips were yet to extinguish everything and anything that had passed us by during the midterm.

         "When will ss3 students finally realise that they will soon write JAMB (Joint Admission Matriculation Board) exam and start coming for prep ehn?" Jade questioned as we settled into three different seats as the class was seemingly empty,a sparse amount of students loitering over the corridors and others at the extreme ends of the class.

          "My dear,even me that came,I'm not sure if I'm opening book this afternoon" Onome sighed,bringing her knee to rest against the side of the desk so her right leg was suspended in the air. "Abi..." Jade trailed off,looking down at the math textbook in her hands.

         "Kainene will read before naw" Onome teased as I pulled out a question booklet from my bag. "Leave me joorh" I chuckled. "Did you later take your script to econs aunty? What did she say?" She suddenly questioned,making me recall the slight issue I'd had with my Economics script earlier in the day.

          "Yes oh,she gave me fourteen and a half...." I replied,flipping through the pages of the booklet in my hands. "That woman just didnt want anybody to score fifteen" Jade pointed out with a chuckle. "For real" Onome concurred.

          "Ehen,Jade,I cant believe you've still not told us about you and Yomi's outing" Onome's sudden change of topic had my hand pausing over the booklet as I stilled for a moment,my memory running back to how my midterm had been spent.

         "I told you it wasnt serious serious na,the funny thing was that we didnt even plan it. I followed my dad to the mall because he needed to get some things in bulk and Yomi also came with his junior brother to get some thing for his dad,that's how it just happened" Jade shrugged as she narrated her story,my gaze instinctively finding it's way to her as I couldnt deny her story had pitched my interest as well.

          "Awwn,that's so cuuutteee!" Onome cooed,tapping the tips of her feet against the floor. "You guys didnt even plan and you guys looked so nice in the pictures. You,you were busy hiding away from camera that day,blushing up and down" Onome finished,throwing yet another tease her way.

         "Wait,how come I didnt see the pictures?" I sulked,realising that I couldn't add up to that part of the story. "You didn't come online now,if not you would have seen pictures and videos. Why do you think people rushed Jade like that on resumption day? If you had seen Yomi's status only for one day ehn..." Onome exaggerated.