Chapter XXIII

Kainene

          It was unforgettable,the eerie silence and tension that lingered in the car on our way home on vacation day,despite the music which blasted through the speakers of Temi's mum's car and her time to time sing alongs,clearly enjoying the company of her music and failing to notice the awkwardness of the space she was in.

           I was made to take the front seat,so Temi and Daryl shared the back and although at first I felt overjoyed over the arrangement,I began to think otherwise feeling constant stares on me,like they wanted to bore holes into my head,especially Daryl,who sat adjacent to me.

          The only time I'd spared him a brief glance,I'd noticed how his face lit up,like he wanted to pour out the thousands of words he had in mind in that split second,but I was too quick to retrieve my gaze. For the first time,through the whole hour that took us through our journey,I felt no urge to blink my eyes,let alone,catch some sleep.

         I felt eternally grateful when the car pulled through the gates of Ikeja GRA estate where the homes of both Temi and I were located,I had no clue as to where Daryl lived,neither did I care to find out. It took yet another fifteen minutes before we got to my house,the sight of which did sadden me but I was consoled by the fact that it was way better than my current situation.

          Temi and Daryl got my things out of the trunk,placing them at the porch of the house before getting back into the car. Thanking Temi's mother for getting me home one more time,I turned on my heels and went ahead to ring the doorbell of the house whilst the car pulled out of the premises. I couldn't deny the fact that I did feel the strong urge to look back but I didn't,because I knew better now.

          It wasnt long before Anne,the maid of the house,unlocked the door for me,a smile growing on her lips at the sight of me. I knew my mother wasnt home so I didn't bother asking as she helped me carry my things all the way upstairs to my room. Once I was within the safety of the room,I shed my daywear off my body,lowering myself into the bed and taking a deep breath.

          For the first time,I'd missed this,I'd missed the lingering scent of pears baby oil mixed with my mother's cologne,brown orchid,which I often stole although she always kept a collection of different brands so she hardly ever noticed my theft. I'd missed having my own space,I'd missed me. The minute I'd settled completely into the comfort of the room,my lids fluttered close and I slumbered into the day.

          Contrary to what we always wished for,mid terms were always short and before I could look back,I was sitting on the shoulders of Wednesday. Within the span of the four days which had passed,I'd only spoken with my mum about two times.

         She always came home late and I gathered,she might just as well have another love interest at the time,seeing how she spent her mornings on the phone,giving off chuckles and giggles ever too frequently. I could swear the only thing she'd told me was, "Kè maka school? (how is school?)",a question she didnt care to hear my answer to,before waltzing down the pristine stairs of the house.

         "Kainene,kam yelu gi aka sakwa gi maka anyi'e lutego Sunday oh (Let me help you wash your clothes,Sunday is already close by)" Anne called to me from where I sat at the terrace of my room,doing research on the last of my take home assignments. I'd picked out a pair of black leggings and a purple peplum top and my hair which had been loosened by Anne the very first day I got back,I'd combed and placed a band at the front,to hold every other strand back.

          "Ahah naw,are we going to do it now?" I complained,dropping my pen and turning towards the glass door,through which I could already see her taking out my travelling bag so she could unveil its content into the laundry bag beside her.